addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Fantasy/Sci Fi Book Club Message Board › Location Location Location

Location Location Location

Margaret H.
user 12766646
Houston, TX
Post #: 9
The group is quickly outgrowing its current meetup spot of La Madeline. Please post any suggestions for a change in location (a venue or part of town).

Ideally we would meet somewhere that can fit up to 15-20 people, is less noisy than a busy restaurant, and is easy to find. We will discuss this issue at our next meeting and see if we can find a better spot for future meetings.

If you have previously been reluctant to come to meetings because they are in an inconvenient location this is the perfect opportunity to pipe up.
Fran M.
user 39116562
Sugar Land, TX
Post #: 2
We live in Sugar Land and so would like to keep the location towards the SW corner. We will be at the next meetup for the discussion. Live long and prosper!
Balek
user 8468182
Houston, TX
Post #: 14
I like the location for its location, although it is busy and space is getting challenging. There is a Cafe Express in the same plaza, but that would likely have the same noise issue (although more seating). I'll keep my eyes open.
A former member
I live in the Energy Corridor/Westchase area. I am good with anything but it would be great if it was on the West/Southwest side... off the beltway rather than 610.
Eddie
user 11267465
Houston, TX
If there is an outcry for it to stay toward this side of town, I say let's stay in this area rather than go any further out. It makes sense to me for it to be as central as possible, with the caveat of taking into consideration what areas of town people are coming from. Some of us live in or near the Heights, so I had thought about doing something around there, but if we have several people on the south-southwest side, then let's stay where we are. I'd like to hear from more people about where they're coming from and what works for them before making a decision. But if there's any doubt, I'd say stay where we are or somewhere nearby, if people like that area.

I'm personally flexible and willing to adjust as long as we don't go really far out.
A former member
Post #: 1
I live in LaPorte on the far east side, so please don't go any farther west. The current area is fine, as would be West U., the Heights, or somewhere else in that general area.

I guess the real task is finding a place that can accomodate 15 or so people?
Margaret H.
user 12766646
Houston, TX
Post #: 10
So far from the postings it seems like the part of town of our current location works well for many members of the group. I like the idea of trying Cafe Express in the same complex.

Something else to consider is that the weather will be warming up and may be pleasant enough for us to sit outside! Imagine that! smile
Balek
user 8468182
Houston, TX
Post #: 15
In case it helps, then...

Meyerland Plaza Cafe Express

It's in the same plaza but on the other side of the bigbox stores, around near Talbots and Saltgrass at the southeast corner of the plaza.

I haven't been inside at this location in a gazillion years :) but they have some outdoor seating as well as a largish indoor area. The menu prices aren't worse than La Madeleine, for those who need dinner.
Ben C.
user 11680916
Houston, TX
Post #: 5
The current area works for me pretty well since I'm in the med center. I'm open to all directions, though it would be more of a stretch to go out to the beltway. Being still new to the Houston area, are there any restaurants that have group rooms that we could possibly use/reserve? Outdoor dining does sound pleasant!
April
user 66284602
Houston, TX
Has anyone ever been to Onion Creek in the Heights area? I don't think that it would be a great location because of how busy it gets, but there might be a place like it that is a little less busy.

The features that I was thinking make it a good place are it's inexpensive, casual, has ample seating, you order at the bar so we don't have to worry about splitting a check, and we wouldn't bother anyone with noise.

I know there's a lot of places like this near the Studewood/White Oak intersection, but that location could be a problem from anyone coming further out of town.