addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Houston WordPress Meetup Group Message Board The Houston WordPress Meetup Group Discussion Forum › food or no food - what do you think?

food or no food - what do you think?

A former member
Post #: 1
Dear Friends of WordPress!

The next meetup is coming up in a week and I need your opinions about the foods and drinks!

Here are our options:

1) Someone very nice decides to drop by with 20 large pizzas, 15 juice boxes, and 5 six-packs of beer (substitute as needed for chips & salsa, tea, wine, etc). Everyone gives a big cheer to that awesome person. (My preferred option.)

2) We go by the "bring your own booze + snack" model, which was supposed to work last time, but totally did not. So we try that again and see what happens. (Pro: potentially more food variety. Con: less food than people.)

3) I take care of procuring pizza and juices. In return, I ask people who have RSVP'ed to pay, say, $10. (This guarantees the presence of food & drink, and conveniently makes the catering the responsibility of a single person.)

4) We do nothing. Some people might get hungry during the meetup. There might be some sporadic on-demand cash pooling, then ordering pizza by phone. (Still works for people who get hungry, just not quite as elegantly.)

So, dear people who are planning to come to November 15th meetup! Let's hear your opinions. Food? No food? Plan in advance? Arrange on the spot? Thank you for sharing your opinions!

Warmly,
Jenia
MaryBeth S.
user 8529051
Houston, TX
Food is a subject dear to my heart.
Providing food and drink at a MeetUp adds to the social and community aspect of the event. It's one thing to listen to a presentation. It's quite another to break bread or share a brew.

I'm all for easy and efficient. I'm happy to kick in $10 per meeting and would welcome the convenience of having the food magically appear at the MeetUp. At the end of a long day, if $10 will solve a problem, I'm thrilled to pay it. Thanks for offering to provide this "bennie!"

It could also be cool to provide an incentive for people to to sign up in advance to provide the refreshments. It could be pairs or trios -- These people could be designated "sponsors" of the MeetUp, and they might enjoy the opportunity to make a brief "elevator speech" to those gathered, and perhaps have a promo on the MeetUp group page. They would be responsible for arriving early enough to set things up. The WP MeetUp is a pretty high-powered networking opportunity. There are so many ways that we can be in service to each other, and networking can become friendship when accompanied by food. If the responsibility for providing the refreshments can rotate through the membership, it can also be a great way to foster "ownership" and having a stake in the group.

Chris and I arrived last time with hummus, chips, and a six pack in tow, in response to the request to BYOB. We value contribution and do so whenever we can. Sometimes we must arrive empty-handed, and appreciate having some "slack." It all works out in the long run, if everyone contributes.

Most of the people in attendance seemed even busier and more harried than we were -- so doing nothing or hoping that people will BYOB is not an option if you actually want to have food there. I don't think it's necessary to provide a full dinner for people. However, some snacks and drinks would be great.

A former member
Food and drinks is definitely a good thing. I will be coming straight from work because I work on the West side of town but live on the East side of town. Way, way East. It's not an option to go home first so, I will be hungry. I will plan on bringing a snack and a bottle of wine but will also be glad to kick in the $10 as well to cover any additional costs.
A former member
Post #: 2
@MaryBeth: I know that everyone valued very much your heart-felt offering of hummus, chips & beer! I asked around, and it appeared that most people did not see the BYOB text... so I took a note to state that more clearly for future meetups.

Great ideas on how the sponsorship structure might work. We will be working out a solution, hopefully shortly.

@Carol: thanks for your feedback! On Monday, I will ask people on arrival if they want pizza & contribute to the money pot. Then, order pizza and it should come in an hour.
A former member
I think number four would work best. I know I'll get hungry but food might get in the way of the keynotes, no?