535 Portwall St, Houston, TX
Let's help out the
Join Humanists of Houston as we work a Saturday afternoon shift at the main warehouse. In past shifts, we have sorted packaged food in the carousel room, sorted frozen meat in the cold room, or filled boxes in the warehouse.
**********Kids 6 and older are welcome**********
Please note that the Houston Food Bank requires you to
This link should allow you to register with the Humanists of Houston. If you have trouble, please post in the comments and we'll try to get it straightened out.
• bring the QR code with you (paper or digital -- just bring your phone), and
• arrive early to allow for orientation and check in. The shift starts at NOON- Hopefully traffic won't be a brutal as the Friday night shifts we've done.
Finally, wear close-toed shoes, long pants, and your HOH t-shirt if you've got one! You can visit our corner of Cafe Press to see the selection, http://www.cafepress.com/hohshop.
Warehouse tips from the HFB:
• Please plan to arrive at least fifteen minutes before your scheduled volunteer shift so you can check in, receive instructions and start on time. We will begin all projects promptly at scheduled shift times. If you arrive after the first shift has started, you may have to wait up to 30 minutes for another assignment. If members of your group arrive late, we cannot guarantee they will be able to join you in your assigned area.
• For your safety, personal belongings are not allowed into project areas. Due to limited locker space, we ask that you lock your purse, jackets, backpacks and any other valuables in your vehicle before checking-in.
• MINOR VOLUNTEER Requirements Portwall Warehouse: Volunteers 6-15 years of age must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older at all times while volunteering.
• How to DRESS? Portwall Warehouse: Closed-toe shoes (NO sandals or flip flops), long shorts or pants, t-shirt or shirt with sleeves.
Special needs? Just let us know: If you require any special accommodations just let us know before your volunteer shift so we can plan accordingly.
• Media Reminders: If you are planning to take any video footage, wish to have a Food Bank spokesperson available for interviews or want to share your volunteer experience with the media, please obtain the approval of the director of Communications, Adele Brady, at[masked] at least 2 weeks prior to your volunteer session.
• If you have questions, please contact the Houston Food Bank's volunteer team at[masked] or [masked]. We look forward to seeing you and thanks for helping feed hungry neighbors across 18 counties!