http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/9/b/2/event_118202482.jpegHFSD will join with other groups in the San Diego Coalition of Reason to march in the annual San Diego LGBT Pride Parade.
This parade is an absolute blast. DON'T MISS IT AGAIN!
Kim E of the SD New Atheists is taking the lead. She last updated information for this event on July 15th.
The annual San Diego LGBT Pride Parade is the 5th largest in the United States attracting 150,000 cheering spectators and significant media participation.
Date: Saturday, July 21, 2012
Time: 11:00 am to 1 pm. Plan for heavy traffic, using shuttles, and being at the staging area no later than 10 am. Note: Because we are marching near the end of the parade, you do not need to assemble for our contingent until 11:30 am.
Parking: Park at the Naval Medical Hospital, 34800 Bob Wilson Drive, San Diego, CA 92134. Free shuttles run from 8 am to 2 pm.
Location: The parade begins at University Ave. and Normal Street, proceeds west on University Avenue to 6th Avenue, turns south on 6th Avenue, ending at Balboa Drive and Upas Street. It's approximately a 1.5 mile walk.
Our contingent's exact staging location: We are group #134. The exact street location of our entry is TBD, but you CAN find it on your own because we are #134)
Theme: America's PRIDE. (Mixture of USA logos and pride colors)
"One Nation Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." (notice anything missing http://img1.meetupstatic.com/614102232183174521616/img/smileys/wink.gif)
Things you need to know!
Reading, understanding, and agreeing to the following are conditions of marching with SDCoR in the PRIDE Parade. If you have any questions, please contact me before the Parade. Marchers who violate any of the following guidelines on the day of the event will be asked to leave immediately and may be subject to arrest and/or fines.
The not-so-fun stuff (don’ts)
• Do not throw anything into the crowd. It’s fine to hand out items (and we’ll be doing a lot of that) but they must be handed – not tossed – into the crowd. Violations can result in a $150 fine. (We have thousands of printed business cards and postcards).
• Do not engage with protestors. There will absolutely be protestors, usually of a religious nature. At the request of the PRIDE organizers and the SDPD, we are not to engage with them.
• No Nudity. According to the City of San Diego, nudity is “devoid of an opaque covering which covers the genitals, pubic hair, buttocks, perineum, anus or anal region of any person, or any portion of the breast at or below the areola of any female person.”
• No jumping on and off of moving vehicles.
• No alcohol or illicit drugs.
• Leave your dogs and other pets at home! We will be on hot asphalt for several hours. The parade is no place for our furry friends.
• We will have a decorated vehicle. Do not touch, decorate, hop on, reach in, or otherwise interact with the vehicle unless directly instructed to do so by the owner or me.
• Keep your valuables on you at all times. Do not leave them in the vehicle, in a bag of parade hand-outs, or anywhere else.
• Listen to PRIDE Volunteers if they give you a direction.
• Disperse immediately at the end of the parade, as directed by volunteers (i.e. GTFO the middle of the road).
The fun stuff! (do’s)
• Dress up! The more over-the-top, the better! PRIDE is one of the best times of the year to go all out. Get freaky. Yer momma would want it that way.
• Get a t-shirt! If you want to leave your PVC corset at home, you can buy a San Diego Coalition of Reason PRIDE T-shirt to sport in the parade instead: http://www.cafepress.com/sdcor
• Follow the theme (if ya like) of “America’s Pride”
• Hand out flyers, cards, candy, etc.! We’ll have lots of SDCoR and SDNA goodies to give out. These will be distributed in the morning.
• Wear comfy walking shoes!
• Do double duty by handing out “It Gets Better Materials” while you’re marching with us. Go here to register: http://www.itgetsbetter.org/page/s/2012-pride
• Come to the sign making party Thursday night: http://www.meetup.com/san-diego-atheists-agnostics/events/72164022/?a=co1_grp&rv=co1
• Show up! Even if you weren’t planning on it, don’t have a sign, and aren’t in costume – just show up! We'll cover you in rainbows and give you a sign to hold. YES! We will have stuff for you.
• Bring your camera – we need a few people who are decent photographers to come ready to take pics of our contingent. Please, Please....
• When it’s over, celebrate a job well done! The parade ends where the festival begins, so you can head directly in to Balboa Park or to one of the great bars/restaurants in Banker’s Hill and Hillcrest. There won’t be an official HFSD event afterward, but people will likely split up into smaller groups and go out.