addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Stephanie
user 27947042
San Diego, CA
Post #: 18
lynn
lynn-riggs
San Diego, CA
Post #: 16
YEEEE - HAAAA!!!
Stephanie
user 27947042
San Diego, CA
Post #: 20
I didn't realize, until it was kindly brought to my attention on the SDNA site (thanks Dan!), that the link I gave is for Glenn Beck's website. I happened upon that article randomly and managed not to notice the gigantic religious ads flashing at the top of the page - I suppose I'm a little more sleep-deprived than I realize:-P So here's a link to the article on the FFRF site which I should have posted in the first place:-D

http://ffrf.org/news/...­

Kay M
user 78743052
San Diego, CA
Post #: 5
Woooo Hoooooo... I have neighbors whose house I pass by frequently on my evening dog walks. A couple times a week (it seems) there's a group of people in their living room (all the windows are uncovered - i'm not a snoop). I wondered, what's going on? I thought maybe AA or possibly a bible group. Well, turns out, they guy is a 'pastor'. And of course instead of having the emotional reaction of 'ah, isn't that nice' - mine was 'seriously...? so, i bet he writes off the whole house as a church... un-f'ing-believable...

So, i can't wait for more on this topic.. and thank you Atheists...! It makes me ill that I have to pay MORE in taxes because churches pay less. Churches don't even have to file an information return... ugh!
lynn
lynn-riggs
San Diego, CA
Post #: 17
American Atheists is doing something similar: taking on the ** IRS ** for the preferential treatment it gives religious organizations not to have to disclose financial information including its pastor salaries and donors of over $5K. All non-religious tax exempt orgs have to do that, so orgs like American Atheists, which carry a bit of a stigma, certainly get fewer large donations because people understandably are hesitant to get their names on a public record.

http://news.atheists....­

Right now they have a MATCHING FUND which doubles the amount of any donations to help cover the costs of this legal battle. Would be a great Thanksgiving gift...I for one am thankful they're taking this on!!
Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 184
Great job by the FFRF!!! What an effective organization for secular causes! I am so sick of religion and the religious receiving all sorts of unconstitutional benefits, including tax breaks. It's about time that something is done about this!
lynn
lynn-riggs
San Diego, CA
Post #: 18
Clergy around the country are UP IN ARMS and will be fighting this decision. Here are some GREAT quotes from the judge:“I agree with plaintiffs that §107(2) does not have a secular purpose or effect,” adding that a reasonable observer would view it “as an endorsement of religion.” "Some might view a rule against preferential treatment as exhibiting hostility toward religion, but EQUALITY SHOULD NEVER BE MISTAKEN FOR HOSTILITY (emphasis added)...All taxpayers are burdened by taxes..." “Defendants do not identify any reason why a requirement on ministers to pay taxes on a housing allowance is more burdensome for them than for the many millions of others who must pay taxes on income used for housing expenses.” “Under defendants’ view, there would be no limit to the amount of support the government could provide to religious groups over secular ones.” God save Judge Barbara Crabb!