addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Los Angeles User Experience Meetup Message Board › Need recommendations for remote user testing tools

Need recommendations for remote user testing tools

M. P.
user 30289532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 3
Hi there,

I need recommendations for remote user testing tools - for desktop and mobile sites. I'm looking at UserTesting.com, Usabilla, others..? I'm looking for a way to show designs to a targeted user group (age, location, have kids in household) and see & hear their feedback on video. What tools have you used?
jay
user 10966814
Santa Monica, CA
Post #: 1
We have used a variety of the low end tools you mention. If you are looking for very quick topical feedback, they may be okay for your purposes. But they will not come close to producing the value you would get from a real study. Unmoderated tools produce a certain type of feedback and its different from a typical usability study in many different ways - you can't have a dialogue or interaction w the users while they are using the product (so you can't probe on things), tasks have to be written in a different way, and the focus is NOT on observed behavior but instead on what they say.

Also, the participant samples are different than you will get if you recruit yourself or do a professional recruit so you might end up with feedback and data from users that don't truly meet your needs.

Happy to comment more so please holler if any followup questions...
M. P.
user 30289532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
Hi Jaye,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, what are the remote user testing tools you have used? Any you would recommend - knowing they do not replace a real study? I appreciate it.
jay
user 10966814
Santa Monica, CA
Post #: 2
I'll send you a PM separately and we can discuss via phone if you like.