addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 1
This topic's been explored pretty thoroughly, so I thought I'd add another viewpoint to the pile: Libraries!

A few months ago I began writing an animation tool for Windows that required reading/writing of movie files (AVIs/WMVs/etc.) You're basically SOL if you're trying to write that without C++. Sure there are C# wrappers for DirectShow and whatnot, but they're basically taking the C++ API and exposing what THEY think the most important features are, not what you might actually need.

Unfortunately, there can be a lot of issues like this imo. I prefer C# for Windows apps, but it's not always viable depending on what you need to hook into. At EA, they jumped through these hoops of sandwiching C# with Managed C++ and finally native C++ just to get access to those libraries, which is more trouble than it's worth and a nightmare for debugging.

On my indie games, I'm using Unity and will probably touch C++ very rarely. However, for most high-paying jobs in the industry, C++ is a must. I'm definitely in the Pro-C++ camp. Grab the latest Visual Studio with the TR1 of C++0x for some real fun! ;)