addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

IGDA Victoria Message Board › Global Game Jam January 28-30

Global Game Jam January 28-30

Christer Kaitila (...
McFunkypants
Victoria, BC
Post #: 13
My Global Game Jam rss newsfeed tells me that Andy has officially set up
"Vdevs and UVic" as a GGJ site. Sounds great! Thanks!

See:
globalgamejam.org/sites/2011/vdevs-and-uvic­

Address:
University of Victoria Campus
Victoria BC
Canada

January 28-30, 2011

Link to Map
Building Name: TBD

Jam Logistics
Entrance Fee: 30
48hours: Site will remain open for entire 48 hours
Open location: This site is open to anyone subject to local age restrictions
Security: This site has onsite security
IT tools: Site provides no particular game development or software tools to jammers
Auditorium space: Have auditorium space available
Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 19
Hi Chris,

This is still tentative. I will be putting a proposal together for my department chair next week. First guess at ticket prices - $50
Brandon B.
user 13146533
Victoria, BC
Post #: 8
What ever happened to the "No More Maybes" mentality that Andy was pushing? This sounds an awful lot like a maybe... :P
A former member
Post #: 12
Well I'm excited! Little known fact: the 28th is my bday; and I could never think of a better way to spend birthdays than Global Game Jams!
Christer Kaitila (...
McFunkypants
Victoria, BC
Post #: 14
This is still tentative. I will be putting a proposal together for my department chair next week. First guess at ticket prices - $50

D'oh sorry about that, my newsreader reported it in the morning and I received a twitter tweet from them in the afternoon so I figured that was a done deal. Perhaps I'll set up a location (capacity: one) in my livingroom.

Regarding cost, I bet there's a (small) chance the university will do it for free if enough registered students and a teacher or two got involved. Check the GGJ website: many sites have no admission fee, especially those held at universities in Europe.

Ahh sweet Europe - where the education is free and the coders are everywhere. =D

We shouldn't need to "rent" the space as much as "ask" for it: hype the educational value and job skills training aspect. My humble (and likely overly optimistic and naive) suggestion for the proposal: don't include any mention of paying for it, this isn't a business conference, this is an educational student participation training event that you are willing to volunteer to organize for free. Best of luck!
Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 20
Hi Chris,

The venue is free, but is not available after hours. In order to have after hours access I believe we will need to pay for additional security - that security cost is about 800 dollars - $50/h overtime pay for 16 hours -- the two evenings
A former member
Post #: 18
Yep, the GGJ venue isn't determined yet so ticket prices (if any) aren't set yet either. Worst case scenario: We'll sit out on a sidewalk somewhere or work from home. :)

News as it trickles in!
Christer Kaitila (...
McFunkypants
Victoria, BC
Post #: 15
Hi Fieran,

I wonder... could it work if we simply do it during the days and shut down each night? The hardcore could go home and pull all-nighters if they wanted, and the softcore people like myself would be perfectly happy to simply do it during the day... After all, free is nice and with no worries about security or cost we could get a whole bunch of indies and give them 16+ hours of coding time gratis.

If finding a locations becomes a hassle, no worries whatsoever. We could all do it "together" online (Ludum Dare style): chatroom and twitter connections simply working from home while encouraging each other virtually, perhaps all the while posting screenshots and progress reports here in the VDev forums. I'd be okay with that and perhaps others would, too. I've got the web servers and willingness to set up a site/forum/chatroom if needed.

To quote Susan Gold (creator fo the GGJ) "Finding a space that can be open for 48 hours can be difficult. If it poses a problem, sometimes it is best to decide to send people home at night. We always recommend that people sleep during GGJ."

Alternately, anyone have the guts to hold it in their home? I'll have a newborn baby in the house by then (that's right, I will soon be a dad: baby is due on January 11th!), so I cannot offer to do so. Cozy couch coding can be fun, it would feel like a lan-party, and we're all good honest people here in Victoria... =D

No matter what happens, count me in as enthusiastically supportive of jamming with you all no matter what the venue or medium.

Kind regards,

Chris

P.S. Talking about Game Jams, this week is the GPCv2 and this weekend is LD48#19. I'm attempting to take part in both and you should too!

P.P.S. Massive list of game jams
Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 21
I am happy to do Friday 1700 - 2300, Saturday 600 - 2300, Sunday 600 - 1700.

It is far easier to set up than a full 24 hour venue. Maybe we need to put this to a vote?
A former member
Post #: 13
I'm willing to do it this way; I'll just have to find teammates who want to continue over nights at one of our houses lol