addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

IGDA Victoria Message Board › UVIC Victoria Game Designers

UVIC Victoria Game Designers

Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 33
I'm going to start a UVIC Victoria Game Designer Club starting in Fall. I don't know exactly what such a club would be or represent, but it's going to do something!

======================================­===================================

Hello Coltan,

Any student can start a club, and there are no fees attached. Pleas look below for the requirements.

-You must have at least 10 members. Non-students can be members, but 2/3s of your membership must be UVIC students at all times.

-You must fill out a club Verification form, attached, and have 2-3 signing authorities. These signing authorities will be the only people who can make room bookings, request cheques from club funding, and book our club tents and audio-visual equipment.

-You must have a Club Constitution which outlines the purpose and governance of your club. (I have attached a constitution template to this email.)

Once you have completed the above forms and created a constitution, you can drop them off in the SUB General Office or scan and email them to me.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions or concerns.

Regards,

Remy Hall

===============================

We can do this guys, or my name isn't Coltan!

===============================

Respond to the Following Fields:

Name:
Uvic Student: [Y/N]
Interested in Joining a club [Y/N]
Willing to help organize: [Y/N]

What do you think belongs in the Constitution?

Any cool ideas you have for a UVic GameDev club?

Any appropriate questions I could ask Mr. Hall up thurr.

======================================­======

My Ideas so far:

Victoria Game Designer's present:

-Minecraft Charity-athon: Diamonds Or Bust
-Peanut Butter and Video Game Jam
-Andy Moore and the Travelling Freak Show
-Fieren 2: This Time It's Personal
Jacob S.
user 12331890
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 2
A UVIC club is interesting but a double edged sword.

Pros:
- Free money (small lump, but its free!)
- Free space (can use a room guilt free)
- Table at the club fair (exposure is good)

Cons:
- Club is tainted by UVIC administration / policies

If the administration has little to no control over the club, and it looks like UVIC wont try and pull some strange intellectual-property-stealing trick (owning ideas that come from the club) then it sounds like a great idea.
But certainly worth looking into. It makes me a bit uneasy!
Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 27
yes yes yes

I can give a little time but I also do Vdes general - and also do IEEE so I'm pretty busy. As far as IP goes - if we make a clear distinction between what is club stuff and what is vdes stuff then we should be good.
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 34

Cons:
- Club is tainted by UVIC administration / policies

If the administration has little to no control over the club, and it looks like UVIC wont try and pull some strange intellectual-property-stealing trick (owning ideas that come from the club) then it sounds like a great idea.
But certainly worth looking into. It makes me a bit uneasy!

I agree. That's definitely something we should look in to.

Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 35

I can give a little time but I also do Vdes general - and also do IEEE so I'm pretty busy. As far as IP goes - if we make a clear distinction between what is club stuff and what is vdes stuff then we should be good.

Why would a distinction between club stuff and vdev stuff help for IP protection?

Tom G.
user 12747919
Victoria, BC
Post #: 1
Well gang, I am almost certainly not making a post just because Coltan told me to.

Not at all.

It'd be nice to really pin down exactly what the club is going to get up to. There's some lovely ideas about special events which, frankly, I'm all about, but is that the entirety of the structure? Are we going to have a weekly meetup, special occasions notwithstanding? When we come together, is it just to jam? As contrast to that, would there be a team project or competitions or any such? Just something that is, in my tiny monkey brain, well worth putting to words.
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 36
Are we going to have a weekly meetup, special occasions notwithstanding? When we come together, is it just to jam?

Depends what people are interested in doing. I know I personally would be down to meet once a week or perhaps once every 2 weeks on top of my monthly-ish VDes meetups. Right now The VDes meets up every 2 weeks. UVic VDes could fill the gaps. Think of that magic. A full months worth of VDes. Wow. Mouthwatering.

But like I said. It depends what people are interested in doing. What are you interested in Tom?

Myself? Eh. Anything really. I'd rather spend my effort filling the area of interest of others rather than attempting to force them to be interested in what I want to do.
Colton H.
user 13856371
Victoria, BC
Post #: 1
I like the idea of having teams producing games... If there was enough interest we could have multiple projects working at once as well as doing inner club competitions. It would also be sweet having teams representing the UVic club.

I would be interested in helping with the club's initialization. I know I really enjoy developing and I would be happy to work on graphics for people :)
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 41
UVIC GameDev is officially a UVSS club, subject to discretionary funding. We get ~$80 a semester. After 2 semesters we are no longer discretionary and will get about double that amount.

To get said moolah, you basically just buy something with your own money, keep the receipt and go to the UVSS office, fill out a blue form and recieve a cheque.

We are also allowed up to $500 for a Special Project Grant funding. What that actually is is pretty loose. It could be a fundraising event, a Game Jam, sexy dance party, etc. So, start thinking of cool ideas guys! He mentioned access to SUB rooms for these types of things is pretty easy because the SUB likes clubs.

Jeremy, I talked to Remy in person about the intellectual rights issue. He said that club constitutions cannot contradict UVSS policy, and there is nothing in the UVSS policy about IP ownership, so there should not be an issue. He could not speak on behalf of UVIC however, so I don't know who we would need to talk to on that regard.

UVIC GameDev is required to give a presentation to Clubs Council on May 15th at 1:00 in Cinecenta. This presentation is essentially to give the council an idea of what the club is, what it aims to achieve. If no one can attend we must submit a brief description of the club to be read to council. I'm going to be there, Anyone else who can possibly be there please drop me a line. It seems like the more people we have there, the more they will take the club seriously and hopefully help in getting a dedicated room for the club :)

That being said, the next priority is definitely getting access to a UVIC room for the club to take place! :D
Christer Kaitila (...
McFunkypants
Victoria, BC
Post #: 28
UVIC GameDev is officially a UVSS club

That is fantastic news, Colton! Well done! I imagine that this will make it much cheaper and easier to organize next year's Global Game Jam in one of UVics computer labs, perhaps. I suppose the club is only for students, however... but still, very worth doing and congratulations on pulling it off.

You totally rock!