addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

IGDA Victoria Message Board › how about a website?

how about a website?

Brandon B.
user 13146533
Victoria, BC
Post #: 15
I realize our group is fairly small, and there are costs related to hosting and putting a website together, but don't you feel like Level Up (still not sold on the name, sorry) needs a website?

Andy, Fieran, what do you think?
A former member
Post #: 31
Not really.. what would it have?
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 38
Specifically, what would a LEVEL UP website provide that the meetup page does not?

Meetup has discussions, member profiles, photos, custom pages, money tracking.
Brandon B.
user 13146533
Victoria, BC
Post #: 16
Specifically, what would a LEVEL UP website provide that the meetup page does not?

Meetup has discussions, member profiles, photos, custom pages, money tracking.

If you have a look at what FullIndie has for theirs, its just a better site than Meetup is for presenting the same info... however, you could treat is as a bit more of a blog (maybe even use Tumblr to power it) where anyone could contribute their learnings/experiences to the larger internet... where it might get some actual traffic and interest?

If you want to get more people interested through means besides word of mouth, having a website is extremely helpful, and if nothing else, it would be a shorter URL that would be marketable...

Just a suggestion.
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 54
Something I think I would be interested in is a website that sort of acts like a channel to all of the indie developers in Victoria, as well as hosting said games. This would be pretty cool if say, each developer had the ability to make their own unique page, and someone visiting the site could easily navigate through the different Victoria made games, and download, or buy, or shwatever, the content that each person has worked on... Or something of that nature. The home page could act as a blog, and newer Victoria games could be showcased on the home page.

Anyway, just a thought. I certainly don't have the skills, time, or motivation to work on a project like that though :P
Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 36
Colton's idea struck a spark in me -- the problem with selling your own games is that you don't have a site with enough traffic - but if we built a site that basically acted as an indy game coop, we might be able to do ok? This is the kind of thing that likely would take a lot of work though. It is however an idea
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 55
It certainly would be quite the endeavour. We'd need a dedicated and talented web programmer.