addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

IGDA Victoria Message Board › Game Development Interests

Game Development Interests

Warren S.
user 12115021
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 2
Curious to know peoples backgrounds and tools used in game development.

I've been hobby game developer for about 30 years but not a lot to show for it.. one game sold, one contest entry.. the rest were tech demos and stuff. .. but I'm working on a 2D framework right now in BlitzMax.

I've coded web applications professionally in VS.NET/C#, scripted using VBasic, + a wide variety of other languages / standards such CSS, C, Java, XML, etc...

Graphics... well, I'm afraid all I can make is coder graphics :(

Oh, I usually go by Skully.
A former member
I made a few games when I was a kid in Basic, and in high school Turbo Pascal. I did some programming in PHP/SQL/etc, but my game-creating has been largely limited to Flash. I'm totally into learning something else, it's just hard to market most of the other stuff :) I find it's good for rapid prototyping (games usually take me a weekend now).

The next meetup (on Wednesday) is going to be a demonstration of the development pipeline I use, if anyone else is interested! (a few at the first meet expressed a desire!)

I got my start in game-making-for-money when my friend Colin made Fantastic Contraption. I am doing community management for the game to this day.

My own (published) games are:

Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 1
I'm a Software Engineering student at UVic interested in making a career in the industry. I've made a few games in my youth, and I've worked on a small Java game in school. I'm interested in learning Flash, C#, Pygame, C++, really not sure what I want to focus on. I'm also in the Power Pop Synth band Cheesifer.
Warren G.
user 12772656
Victoria, BC
I have been working as a web-based application developer (LAMP) for the past few years. I have always been a gamer of some sort, and it seemed natural to try to building a web-based game of my own. I have been working off and on at one title but hit a stumbling block recently that I haven't resolved yet. In the meantime I am playing with building another web-based game, but haven't progressed past the technical testing stage yet. I am no graphic artist, a self-taught programmer using PHP, Mysql etc, but I do have a strong desire to complete a title and do it well.
I have a few professional game credits of no particular note:

• I was a script consultant on a kid's game called Anastasia (that came out when the movie of the same name was released). As a result some of my lines were read by Meg Ryan and Hank Azaria since they did the voices for both the film and the game.
  • I did some consulting for a company called ICE Online (later bought by EA Canada) concerning a social environment style game they were working on. It didn't amount to anything and I think the company has disappeared in the meantime.
  • I worked on a game for a company in Vancouver that I am grateful to say will never see the light of day. It was an incredibly bad idea to begin with and would not have been worth playing in the end I think.
  • The rough version of a set of PnP roleplaying rules I was writing was used as the inspiration for the character design system in a game environment that was being developed in Vancouver a decade ago but I am not sure a working title was ever produced.