addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

IGDA Victoria Message Board › Innovative Games with HUGE Style and Presentation

Innovative Games with HUGE Style and Presentation

Andy F.
user 12624284
San Jose, CA
Post #: 4
Okay, I'm starting a thread because I discovered this game today, and have yet to play it, but the concept is so exciting and the presentation so good, it got me thinking about games of this nature. Specifically, about delivering off-the-charts style and character.

Specifically, I'm thinking about indie or smaller release games (this one is a download from the Playstation network) that are awesome and present like the very best professional products. Big release titles too if they qualify, but maybe not if they had a huge developer team and millions dollars to fund tons of artist teams and 3d modellers. I wanna see those too, but game development on that scale is not a reality unless you have venture funding or are a game designer at the biggest dev houses / publishers, so incorporating style like that into your own games is prohibitive. One of the best things about iphone as a platform (or mobile in general) is that the screen is smaller so inherently less art, and the huge publishers have not taken over to the point where indie style just looks poor and unprofessional.

Anyway.

The game is called Fat Princess.

Its a capture the flag game where where one team tries to capture the other's princess, and the defending team, besides killing the other players or re-classing by wearing different garb to assist the team dynamic (mage, medic, etc), can feed the princess cake to make her fatter and harder to carry away. Lookie here:

Look at the credits, thats STYLE right there wow. What a fun way to make something cool in your game. Soccer bonus mode unrelated to the core game? Presentation unbelievable! Watch the video.
http://www.youtube.co...­

Rush Guide (shows gameplay somewhat, and the music is awesome)
http://www.youtube.co...­

Now I ask you, can you think of other games in this class? What are they?
Points for extremely fun and distinctive style, art, modes and just general all around presentation. What can you think of?
A former member
I love Fat Princess (as a concept: I don't have a PS3), and I love Titan Studios. Had a few beers with the lead there. Great guy!

Though the dev team is very much in the "indie" mindset, Fat Princess took somewhere between 1 and 1.5 million US dollars to create, and around a year and a half of development time. So I wouldn't say it's "not AAA" at all. It's so far beyond any indie capabilities (without getting funding from *somewhere*) as to be unattainable. :)

And thanks for the video link - never saw the credits before! that was awesome!

Edit: Some asking around results in:

- 15 person team
- 18 month dev cycle
- 2.5 million budget
- another few million in marketing
A former member
Post #: 5
That said, there's varying degrees of polish. A two man team on zero budget release Solipskier yesterday, and it is wicked polished (considering it took about a month to dev):

http://mikengreg.com/...­

There's also Limbo on XBLA right now, that's really polished but has a few flaws, imho.

http://www.gametraile...­

There's an endless list! Hard to single out any for paying attention to!
Andy F.
user 12624284
San Jose, CA
Post #: 5

Wow thats great info! Yeah I knew looking at the production on Fat Princess that it wasn't a bargain basement job. How could it be as a huge online multiplayer game right? Thats a big project to take on. I am a little surprised that it is an American developer, close to here no less, because the style is really Japanese. It has that Japanese look to the graphics and gameplay etc.

I'd like to invite you guys over to my place to hang out, just cleaned the entire apartment and theres lots of room to sit and chat or brainstorm. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of having a heart attack right now since my iPhone app that was in development for a month has been in review for 10 days now, and some jerk just released a garbage app that doesn't work using the same name I was using, it came out 4 days ago. I might have to change the name, some graphics, and re-localize like 10 languages now. I'm heartbroken to say the least, I don't know what to think. I had a website made, twitter up and ready to go....bruuuutal.

Anyway, back on topic, I'll try and recall more games with stunning presentation that were produced by smaller teams or efforts. In general I like bigtime style and really strong presentation no matter where it comes from. I'm not a huge fan of "indie" style, I like it better when indie developers pull off something that looks pro. Thats the kind of stuff I'm thinking about.
Andy F.
user 12624284
San Jose, CA
Post #: 6
I got rejected, going to resubmit. Anyhow, anyone else got any ideas for a title, any title i guess, with standout style that you can recall?
A former member
Post #: 6
How about the "recent big ones" like World of Goo, Braid, Machinarium, Auditorium, or Audiosurf? I'm pretty sure each of those projects was just two guys. And funnily enough, all purchaseable on steam. :)
Andy F.
user 12624284
San Jose, CA
Post #: 7
I think I remember seeing that it was available for Mac (steam that is), but I haven't checked in a while. I've seen some of the ones you mentioned, but not others. Gotta find time to check them out.

I played the demo of Fat Princess yesterday in single player mode. I thought it wasn't that awesome but looked great. The balance feels wrong, like you feel underpowered, but can also get insta-gibbed at times. Your role in the battle in single player is so small you can just leave the game playing and do nothing (afk) and neither side will win.
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
I got rejected, going to resubmit. Anyhow, anyone else got any ideas for a title, any title i guess, with standout style that you can recall?

What is the app about?

And also,

Minecraft

This game is still in the Alpha phase, but you can purchase it cheap now. I think it's going to be huge. It has a great community aspect, multiplayer (soon), and the only limit on gameplay is your own creativity. Notch developed the entire game by himself and updates it every Friday with a cool new feature or two. Check it out.
Andy F.
user 12624284
San Jose, CA
Post #: 8
It looks awesome, respect out to the devs! It has kind of a retro feel to it, but plans for iOS? I assume the development language is c-based. You could potentially port to iphone easily and guarantee at least moderate returns and reach a huge audience that is already trained to buy.

The app that was rejected was a mirror app for iphone 4 using the front facing camera. The space is saturated but is entirely filled to the rafters with BS apps, at least half of them just show you a black screen and ask you to look for your reflection. If you can believe it. The app I made punishes their lame shit.

Once we meet up maybe we should set up a list of UDIDs for iphone devices (I assume most peeps have one) so that we can AdHoc test if needed.
A former member
Post #: 7
I think the game is completely written in Java, actually. No plans for any other platform than the browser. Take a look at his sales statistics - he charges around a ten bucks and has gotten a hundred sales per day for the last 6 months. :-O

My girlfriend has an iPod touch, but it's the old OS so doesn't work with half the new stuff. :( If anyone wants to swap *android* udids....