addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Immersants Message Board › NetPD Online Jamming from Home

NetPD Online Jamming from Home

sqgl
sqgl
Group Organizer
Sydney, AU
Post #: 187
Tonight I will make available some screen-shots that remind you of last night's workshop on how to fire up netPD and open instruments etc.

For the next few weeks (starting now), myself and others will make sure there is some basic loop happening. All you need to do is start up netPD like at the workshop, and all the instruments used in the jam will become available to you in the unpatch window. Click on each instrument name to see it and tweak it. The mixer has a solo button which (I think) will not affect what other people here, so use it to help you focus your ears on the instrument you are tweaking.

You can go immediately offline (with the online/offline button in chat.pd) after you have connected and loaded the current set of instruments and sequences. Then you can experiment and not fear spoiling the jam for others. If you do indeed wish to get started in this mainly private offline mode then the chat.pd window is not open to you but I am often available in the chat window on my net radio website: http://RePlayScape.co...­ (nothing to install).
sqgl
sqgl
Group Organizer
Sydney, AU
Post #: 188
A tutorial (click) is now online.
sqgl
sqgl
Group Organizer
Sydney, AU
Post #: 189
myself and others will make sure there is some basic loop happening.

If there is nobody actively jamming then it will be in stop/pause mode. When you play/unpause, anyone who is connected will hear the music and have the option of joining in. To see how to stop/pause go to step 2 in the tutorial I mentioned already.
sqgl
sqgl
Group Organizer
Sydney, AU
Post #: 190
EDIT 2014-10-02: The following two mentioned .txt files are obsolete and I did not get around to make others. I may do so if I hold another tutorial meetup in 2014.

I am creating a .txt help file to accompany each .pd patch. They are being linked to in the tutorial but you may want to download them and put them into the same folder as the netPD patches that they describe so that they are always on hand. I will be distributing them in the netPD zipfile in future.

So far I have created...

• bassist.txt (to accompany bassist.pd)
  • jamx.txt (there is no jamx.pd but jamx is invoked by bassist.pd, lilacid.pd, daisy.pd, cheapchord.pd)

sqgl
sqgl
Group Organizer
Sydney, AU
Post #: 191
Have updated the tutorial so that the web site shows step-by-step how to add a bass-line or melody and apply effects. You have enough now to compensate for the unfriendly GUI and start experimenting even without going online. It will now be easy to explain more in the chat room and in the text files I am writing up to accompany each instrument and effect.

The next tutorial will be how to add drum sequences. Drums do not have a built in sequencer like bassist does so it is still tricky for a beginner to figure out. That should complete the tutorial web site (for beginners at least).
sqgl
sqgl
Group Organizer
Sydney, AU
Post #: 192
The tutorial website is now complete (with today's addition of the drums section). Over the next week I will be creating text files to accompany each patch/instrument for those that want to explore even further but there is more than enough available for people to start enjoying experimenting now.
sqgl
sqgl
Group Organizer
Sydney, AU
Post #: 193
Before hopping online, please start with a clean slate (ie make sure nothing is opened in unpatcher) otherwise there is a clash with others who are already jamming. Developer Roman hopes to modify the software in future to automatically clear it before connecting and perhaps even save what you were working on first (that way you can load sets/grooves you have prepared).

If you forget to start with a clean slate, then others jamming will not be aware of your instruments until you change some of their parameters, at which time the instrument will load for them. If they already have that instrument opened then the result is unpredictable (maybe even fun?).

Don't freak out if you forget the procedure, it is easy enough to recreate and start a fresh when things go wrong. After all we are here to play (not work). Remember you can get online to simply ask questions too (not just to jam).
sqgl
sqgl
Group Organizer
Sydney, AU
Post #: 194
Subpixel kindly uploaded the audio/video stream of the last event. Thanks mate - that's an awesome contribution! Not only is is this nifty for archicing but it is a way people for people can check out the jam (in quasi realtime) without needing software.
http://www.meetup.com...­