All those who are interested in contributing to collect ideas, involve field actors and to organise the Hack with refugees (http://hackwith.refugees.net) event are invited to this meetup where we will:
• Assess the ideas collected on the ideas for refugees (http://ideas.refugees.net/) platform
• Create teams to organise the hackathon
• work in teams to identify the action items and responsibilities.
Are you interested in contributing?
Everyone is welcome to contribute, whether by submitting ideas, helping organising the hackathon or by connecting our initiative with refugees, existing associations and citizen groups.
Please fill in this form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NF7icKry3-qNCE6-tXZUqNSEWopPiPsPrxyMHC0z78E/viewform) if you would like to take action, spread the word and join us on December 15
Background for this initiative
Beyond the emergency and the positive emotional reaction generated by the massive arrival of refugees, it's time now to think about mid-term and long-term issues and opportunities.
What can be done to increase the probability of success that refugees and migrants will find - temporarily or definitely - their place in the hosting societies / countries ?
How can we turn the refugees' arrival into opportunities together ?
How can we as positive impact entrepreneurs contribute to this while leveraging the power of technology ?
Our objective is four fold :
• to set up a sharing platform gathering ideas and existing initiatives worldwide: CitizenLab platform : http://refugees.citizenlab.co/
• to develop concrete entrepreneurial solutions answering migrants / refugees needs on a mid-term / long-term perspective
• to amplify and consolidate these solutions thanks to the power of technology (internet platforms, use of big data, makers solutions, DIY,...)
• to connect the different initiatives in Belgium and in Europe for the sake of sharing and replicating practices
How? Through 3 well identified stages :
Ideas for refugees (http://ideas.refugees.net/) (October - December 2015)
These are co-design sessions organised within the frame of the monthly Positive Impact Entrepreneurs events aka PIE-Time at transforma bxl. In these sessions we collectively:
• identify needs : what is at stake ? what are the challenges ? what are the needs ?
• collect known existing initiatives
• generate ideas
• Crash-test ideas with field actors and refugees themselves (planned time : between now and end of november)
The ideas collected are uploaded on an online platform powered by Citizenlab.
Hack with refugees (http://hackwith.refugees.net) (January - March 2016)
• 22-24 January : A national hackathon involving all Belgian initiatives on the topic and aimed at transforming the most promising ideas into concrete solutions
• End of 1st quarter 2016 : Organise a pan-European hackathon bringing together initiatives launched throughout Europe (planned time : first quarter 2016)
After collecting ideas on the platform http://ideas.refugees.net/ (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://ideas.refugees.net/&sa=D&usg=AFQjCNEV7sf2fItQGaI4FNhz8zqZcexOqA) for 8 weeks, we will meet in transforma bxl to work on the top voted ideas and turn them into scalable projects.
Everyone is welcome to submit ideas and to participate in the hackathon. All set of skills are welcome, technical and non technical.
What is a hackathon?:
A hackathon is a collaborative event, where teams form around ideas and work on them from Friday evening to Sunday evening in order to turn them into prototypes, ready to be implemented in real life. Although hackathons are usually linked with coding and technical skills, it will not be the case of Hack for refugees where all sets of skills are welcome.
Build with refugees (From January 2016)
To bring the most promising ideas into life with refugees
We look forward to see you in transforma bxl on December 15, it is not too late to get involved in this initiative even if you missed the first co-design sessions.