addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Indy Gaming Message Board Minatures Historical or Otherwise › Painting Minis

Painting Minis

Trangen
user 3162591
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 11
How many people still paint minis for their RPGs?

i ask this because my group has just kicked back into gear and every time we start playing a new campaign there is a huge push to get minis painted for the game. Everyone goes out and buys their new figures and as the DM i pick up some NPC minis and a few monsters that are going to be common. I actually require that all my players have a fully painted mini by the 3rd session. That gives my guys a month or so to get their poop in a group. I try and host times to come in and learn how to paint, so not everyone has to go out and spend the coin to meet my rules. What are your opinions?

I have not even really considered using the plastic minis that wizards produce. I just wanted to get some dialogue about why people use plastic over the old school painted minis.

A former member
Post #: 27
I am pretty much set on pre-painted mini's Although I will occasionally repaint a mini If I don't like the colors they used or if the paint job looks bad. Between Reaper and D&D minis I have a huge collection. I still use Reaper non pre-painted minis too but I usually only paint them if I know I am going to be using them as an mpc or a monster that I might have gotten over the years.

I normally don't sit down though and paint minis for any significant amount of time anymore.
A former member
Post #: 61
I bought a bunch on town types minis and painted them last year. I do repaint some prepainted plastic minis; for the same reason Darth said above; the plastic prepainted from WotC and Reaper and just as decent and I think store easier then metal figures in my opinion.
Heather
lovest1274
Fishers, IN
Post #: 207
I have a total mini purchasing addiction but never seem to get around to painting them.

The plastic pre-painteds from wizards seem like a good solution if you don't have time to paint and you want a mini for every monster and npc you come across. It's hard to be a lovingly painted character mini tho.

A few years ago Dwarven Forge came out with some truely outstanding plastic pre-painted mini's. I have a large set of orc's and skeletons that are as fine as any historical miniature masse sets I've ever seen.. strings on bow's.. gorgeous.

The Warhammer.. file and glue plastic mini's are too much for me.. little pieces and my fingers glued together.. I've got no use for those.

I'm wondering with all the special counters and signals and states that seem to go along with 4.0 if Wizards will come out with a more heroclix type mini for gameplay that keeps some sort of conditon or stat.. maybe integrated pieces or something.

No, metal mini's don't store terribly well.. they are nicer for sure.. but it's so difficult to keep them from chipping it can deteriorate a nice piece into a crumby one in a single season of play.

Unpainted metal mini's are embarassing.. I need to set up another mini painting meetup. G got me a woodland animal warband at Origins and I've promised myself I can't buy the mushroom village to go with them till I get them painted.

:)
A former member
Post #: 1
Lol, I think pre-painted minis should be outlawed :)

I still paint and get a great deal of satisfaction after finishing a piece. It really adds to the experience and gives a great looking piece of artwork that you can be proud of. Kinda makes you feel worse if he gets killed off though!