addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Indy Gaming Message Board LFG - Any kind of game, any side of town › Looking for youth D&D groups

Looking for youth D&D groups

A former member
Post #: 1
Hope someone may have info for me… my son (11yrs old) has been playing DnD with a small group in the Carmel area and we would love to find more groups aged 10 and up that may want to play or that need players. 2 others (ages 13 and 11) from that group may also be interested.

We meet w/2 other homeschool families. One Mom is the DM (big gamer) and the others play along w/the 5 kids to help them and move the game along. Sometimes we have big gaps in play and my son just LOVES playing and wants to find a group that will meet regularly. Our DM is great, so if possible we would just like to find additional opportunities to play. We have been through several adventures and my son is very knowledgeable, but still an novice. I really would like him to find a group that is run by an young adult or parent, and that all the players are kids.

I have NO idea where to even begin looking. We are flexible w/times too since we homeschool. If there is a DM w/a kid that has always wanted to start a group, I would love to help get a group started. Our ideal situation would be getting a group started at a local library or staying as close as we can to the Noblesville, Fishers, Carmel, Westfield area.

If anyone have any info on existing groups, or ideas for us to maybe get our own group started… it would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS,
Karri
A former member
Post #: 22
Wow I really wish we lived closer to your area. (we're about 50 minutes away).

What edition of D&D do you guys play? just curious.

Here is a suggestion, it's what I ended up doing here in Plainfield.

Go to either your local library, or the biggest Library in your area and if they have meeting rooms, reserve one about a month in advance. Then post bulletins in the Library about an open Dungeons & Dragons game. Welcome all new and experienced. also make sure to post bulletins at other public locations or sites as well. (be sure to explain it is open to everyone and that it is family friendly.)

That first night, is just an introduction of the game and to each other and Character Creation time. Then figure out a good meeting time for everyone get together to actually play the game. Our Library allows us to play the game in the actual library near the back, we don't disturb anyone and we are out in the open where others can see what we are doing and stop and watch or play if they like.
This of course limits your game sessions to during library hours. but it's better than nothing.

But you could host the regular games pretty much anywhere you prefer.

This is how our Game started which up till last week included myself running, my two daughters(11,14) and a teenager who is 17. except for myself it was an all girl group, we had others play a few games and then loose interest, and a couple of people who just didn't fit in the game style. All 3 of the girls had no RPG experience before the 'meeting night' but eventually helped teach others.

I hope this suggestion helps, and again I wish we we're closer as my campaign could have used a few extra players (especially those who stay interested).

Good luck
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for the valuable information. Your situation is exactly what we are looking for. I wish it wasn't such a far drive. :) The other parent from our group is trying to read up on how to DM, since it seems if we can't find one we'll have to do it ourselves. I don't have enough experience to comfortable do it, so I am WAY impressed by her jumping into it for us. We have been playing D&D 3.5. We have 4 kids (1 girl/ 3 boys) and 2 adult playing, along w/our DM. It's a great bunch.

I've run a lego club in the past and utilized the rooms available at our library. They are a very useful resource. I hadn't thought about posting something there. We'd like to tap into our homeschool community, but are worried out current DM will take it the wrong way. Her work sched. and childcare situation prevent her from being able to meet at a library and run a really focused campaign. We haven't figured out our game plan yet.

Thanks again,
Karri
Andrew
user 8061023
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 47
Hi all, I run a lot of games throughout the week at the Arsenal Game Room downtown, and would be happy to run some games for newer gamers. Are you guys mostly looking for games during the weekends?

During the summer time after school ends, I'd be happy to run mid-week games as well.

-Andrew
A former member
Post #: 5
Thanks, I'll let ya know. I know I am more available than she can be. I'm thinking that games during the week would work best w/both of us, but I am available weekends too. I will be talking to the other Mom that was interested. We need to sit down and look at our options.

Karri
A former member
Post #: 27
If you do decide to play at the Arsenal, I might be interested as that is only about a half hour drive for me.

of course that depends on the day you choose to play and whether or not the game is open to others. heh