addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

People Who REALLY Build Things! Message Board › Invisible bike helmets!

Invisible bike helmets!

Marsh
MarshWildman
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2,039
This is not bad in a colder climate. Around here in the summer, I think I'd prefer a traditional helmet, bit's an innovative idea.

http://vimeo.com/4303...­
A former member
Post #: 2
That appears to operate a lot like the air bag jackets advertised for motorcycle and equestrian use.

The deployment times for a full torso and neck airbag jacket are down to about 25ms for the newest generation, 200ms for the older ones which is more than suitable for a fall from a galloping horse or most motorcycle accidents. I would imagine if they are anywhere close to this, and the crash test appears to indicate they are, it should be very suitable for the types of crashes that bicycles are involved in.

I wonder about this legally though. According to CA Vehicle Code Section 21212 (Youth Bicycle Helmets Minors) bicycle helmets must meet the standards of either the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) or the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). I have not dug into their standards to see if it mentions a hard shell or anything that way which would immediately invalidate this helmet. It would certainly take some police education as well since they would, rightly so, see no helmet and likely stop anyone that appears to be under 18 and possibly give them a ticket despite wearing this.