addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Phoenix Japanese Language and Culture Group Message Board › What are your favorite Japanese dramas?

What are your favorite Japanese dramas?

A former member
Post #: 7
Hey guys,

We were talking about Japanese dramas today, and I wanted to ask this on the message board so that we might share some of these things here:

"What are your favorite Japanese dramas & movies and websites and such to find these?"

I've been on www.dramacrazy.net a lot lately. I've watched some various stuff on there so far. My favorite drama was called "Manhattan Love Story", which is about the patrons of a coffeeshop in Tokyo who are involved in various love triangles. The main character is the owner of the coffeeshop, an unusual character who almost never speaks but anonymously becomes very involved in helping these people figure out their relationships. It's very funny, very touching, and very well done. Anyways, that's my very favorite one so far, but I just finished it and I'm looking for more new stuff to watch now, and recommendations are appreciated.
William
user 10011415
Mesa, AZ
Post #: 15
Good question. I've just started watching Kindaichi shônen no jikenbo - Kyuketsuki densetsu satsujin jiken, this also stars Ueno Juri (Nodame-chan). A small group at a haunted hotel/village tourist attraction run into mysteries, ghosts, and a vampire haunting the village. Ueno-san is fortunately not like her Nodame character. Thanks Alicia for the link to dramacrazy.
scott w.
user 8071882
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 10
My two favorites have been Nodame Cantible (which we are almost done watching as a group, only one more episode!!!) and Zettai Kareshi. Don't watch Zettai Kareshi though. I have it on DVD and I think it will be the next series we watch for Meetup. Although Junko has a detective series she'd like us to watch--we'll have to see. Another good series is Goku-sen. Good funny show. Check out the synopsis and reviews on www.jdorama.com. I also recently watched "Attention Please." It was decent, not great. Dramas that I was not impressed with were GTO (voted #1 on jdorama.com--go figure), and Long Vacation (snore!). A drama site that many members use is www.mysoju.com.
A former member
Post #: 2
The drama I mentioned to Scott previously was called "Galileo." It's about a young physics professor who helps a female police detective solve crimes. There's a gimmick in every episode where the guy suddenly realizes he has all the clues he needs for his solution, and starts scribbling equations on any available surface in order to prove his point (accompanied by a snappy, exciting theme song, of course). There's a muted undertone of romance between the professor and the policewoman, but the guy is like a Japanese Mr. Spock, so it's sometimes difficult to see.

BTW, Goku-sen sounds like an interesting choice. I liked the anime version.
A former member
Post #: 9
One of my favorites is called "3 Peace" or alternatively, "Hito ni Yasashiku". It's about 3 immature young men living together in near poverty who find a little boy at their doorstep with a bunch of money and a letter that says "please take care of him for a little while". Because the boy has no where else to live, they end up taking him in and struggling to raise him as best as they can, which results in some very comedic as well as endearing moments. To this drama I say Bravo! (Great!)