addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Houston Japanese Conversation Club Message Board › Clear Lake Area meetups?

Clear Lake Area meetups?

Sophia
Sophia3.14
Houston, TX
Post #: 3
I live in the Clear Lake area and was wondering if there are any members in this area who would like to meet up one or twice a month? Not looking to replace the JLPT study sessions but I have a hard time making those (I go when I can) and it would be nice to be able to practice with others more regularly. Thanks! :)
thanh
thanh
Dickinson, TX
Post #: 2
Hey, Sophia.

I'm also in the Clear Lake area. It's a big area, but there isn't enough going on in terms of Japanese exchange at our level. UHCL offers classes, but that's about it, I think. I could commit to a monthly meet-up, but I'm afraid my Japanese isn't good enough to support the group. What JLPT level are you studying for?
Sophia
Sophia3.14
Houston, TX
Post #: 9
Hey Thanh. Thanks for the reply and sorry for not replying. So, I'm just seeing this reply like months later. I didn't realize the message board had a separate setting so I did not realize there was a reply to my message. Let me know if you are still interested. I was doing well last year, then got sidetracked so I'll have to pick back up. I'm super beginner but have the Genki text and workbooks. Would you still be interested in meeting up on a monthly basis?

Also, anyone else in the Clear Lake area interested in joining?
Steve F.
user 184664538
Houston, TX
Post #: 1
I would . now I have Fridays free. I'm a beginner in nehongo . did Japanese for dummy's and an amizon book
Sophia
Sophia3.14
Houston, TX
Post #: 10
Steve, I don't have every Friday available but I think we should definitely give it a go and have something, even if on a semi-regular basis.
thanh
thanh
Dickinson, TX
Post #: 3
Hi, I thought I should share this information about Japanese lessons in the nearby Clear Lake area.

The University of Houston at Clear Lake is offering Beginner and Intermediate Japanese lessons continuously on a non-credit basis. They have a (messy) website here: http://prtl.uhcl.edu/...­

They are currently doing Beginner and Intermediate lessons. Their schedule runs by 2-month sessions, so 6 sessions a year.

If you click on the green button for registration, it will take you to a list of the upcoming courses. The next session is for Intermediate Japanese from October 13 - December 1. I think they have a strange policy of increasing the cost and decreasing the hours of class when fewer students enroll, though.

If you have taken lessons here before, I would be interested in what you thought about it.

-Thanh
Sophia
Sophia3.14
Houston, TX
Post #: 11
Thanks for the info Thanh! My schedule is too crazy right now to fit in something like this. I do agree that it would be great to hear from others who have had experience with this and can comment.
Steve F.
user 184664538
Houston, TX
Post #: 2
Would love to but right now I'm dealing with a schedule change at work. 3 to midnight