addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Japanese Meetup @Singapore Message Board › Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 54
Learning from books can only bring you so far. I score 70% listening in JLPT 2 (never took 1) without help of any books. But I have been listening to Japanese music, watching Jdoramas and animes for a long time.

I gotta disagree with you on this. I could say the same with J music, dramas, animes, that it could only bring you that far (if you don't make use of it correctly). If you get the right book and use it correctly, it could bring you a lot further and faster than those other media you are using. I am living proof of this as I very rarely come into contact with those media (which probably explains my JLPT2 listening score) but still managed to get an acceptable score for JLPT1 listening.

A lot of it boils down to your personal interests and learning style. I've always believed that there's no such thing as the 'best' method for everyone, because what works for someone may not work for another. But as long as you keep trying and don't give up, you're bound to improve, and with time you'll discover which learning method suits you best.
denc75
user 3073559
Singapore, SG
Post #: 160
Learning from books can only bring you so far. I score 70% listening in JLPT 2 (never took 1) without help of any books. But I have been listening to Japanese music, watching Jdoramas and animes for a long time.

I gotta disagree with you on this. I could say the same with J music, dramas, animes, that it could only bring you that far (if you don't make use of it correctly). If you get the right book and use it correctly, it could bring you a lot further and faster than those other media you are using. I am living proof of this as I very rarely come into contact with those media (which probably explains my JLPT2 listening score) but still managed to get an acceptable score for JLPT1 listening.

A lot of it boils down to your personal interests and learning style. I've always believed that there's no such thing as the 'best' method for everyone, because what works for someone may not work for another. But as long as you keep trying and don't give up, you're bound to improve, and with time you'll discover which learning method suits you best.

Actually, I think both of you are correct. It depends on what you mean by "could only bring you that far".
The JLPT is a test, so we can all improve our score by taking past-year papers and going through books that are directed at this test.
However, tests are quite limited by nature and are quite different from 'real' Japanese, especially with regards to the Listening Test. Which Japanese do you know of speaks in such a 'roundabout' way as per the test? :)
Terence
shinkitsura
Singapore, SG
Post #: 70

Actually, I think both of you are correct. It depends on what you mean by "could only bring you that far".
The JLPT is a test, so we can all improve our score by taking past-year papers and going through books that are directed at this test.
However, tests are quite limited by nature and are quite different from 'real' Japanese, especially with regards to the Listening Test. Which Japanese do you know of speaks in such a 'roundabout' way as per the test? :)
The new N level will no longer have past year papers. So I guess there is no way to target for tests like the JLPT anymore.
denc75
user 3073559
Singapore, SG
Post #: 161

The new N level will no longer have past year papers. So I guess there is no way to target for tests like the JLPT anymore.

Actually the syllabus and the format are quite similar, so doing past year papers will probably help quite a bit.
Of course, you are right to say that there will be some differences.
wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 55

Actually the syllabus and the format are quite similar, so doing past year papers will probably help quite a bit.
Of course, you are right to say that there will be some differences.

Actually, many people do speak in roundabout ways in daily life, especially when they're deliberating something, trying to make a decision. You can't say they are far-fetched situations. It's just that the Japanese you come into contact with probably try to speak in simpler terms whether consciously or unconsciously, or they're not good enough friends with you to want to seek your opinion on issues they want help with. I think it'll be too myopic to say that it is far from 'real' Japanese, just because the Japanese people you come into contact with or the Jmedia you're exposed to doesn't use as much of such Japanese language. There is a reason why test takers who live in Japan score significantly higher in listening than test takers outside of Japan, and I think it has to do with listening being 'real' Japanese that can be heard in Japan. When it comes to JLPT1, it's more the kanji and grammar parts that are far from daily Japanese.

There will always be ways to target tests only, even if it's a new syllabus. You sound like you don't like such learning methods, but I think you shouldn't brush them aside as being useless for improving 'real' Japanese ability. I personally found that the book I used for listening helped me greatly in my listening skills and I was able to comprehend a lot more of whatever Japanese that falls on my ears. It did for me in weeks what years and years of exposure to Jmedia did for you. And any kanji or grammar I learnt while studying for JLPT is a step forward in my overall Japanese ability.
Victor
aspenx
Tokyo, JP
Post #: 226

but I think you shouldn't brush them aside as being useless for improving 'real' Japanese ability.
And any kanji or grammar I learnt while studying for JLPT is a step forward in my overall Japanese ability.

Agree.

"Real" learning should start after you "conquer" JLPT. Only then will more "Jmedia" make sense also.
In my opinion, the JLPT is just a measure of how serious you are about learning the language.
And I don't believe that watching J-dorama and listening to Japanese music will help for your JLPT1 either... (not saying it won't help for the other levesl!) Sorry, it will only take you "that far".

But if one can understand close to 100% of what a native Japanese says on his/her live webcam broadcasts... (note: not professional radio disc jockeys, singers, actors etc)
Terence
shinkitsura
Singapore, SG
Post #: 71
It's horses for courses. I think we will agree to disagree. I'm not saying that any learning method is inferior. Personally I've never memorised any phrase book and prefer not to do so for any of my languages. This could be one of the reason why I didn't do well in my Mandarin because I just couldn't derive any enjoyment from memorising thousands of characters and phrases.

However I know the Singapore exam system is very strong on rote learning so some people can learn all their languages out of a book. Props to them for doing so.

Which Japanese do you know of speaks in such a 'roundabout' way as per the test? :)
You obviously do not interact with or understand the Japanese people well enough. I have not met a more indirect and roundabout nationality than the Japanese.
A former member
Post #: 31
Actually, I think you guys are going off-topic since this is a thread to recommend good Japanese language schools.

I feel that JLPT is a relatively good guide for one to learn Japanese. The grammar at JLPT 1 has been criticised to be too outdated (or too difficult) but I don't buy that argument. I have seen rare forms of JLPT 1 grammar expressions manifest in certain media.

I don't find the Japanese way of speaking that indirect though. (never sensed a striking difference, or either the people in my environment speak in an indirect way too) On the other hand, I was kinda' disturbed when I first noticed that newspaper do not write in polite form, but that's because printing space is limited and clarity is a must.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi I am interested to learn Japanese too. I totally do not have any knowledge to the Japanese language, anyone has any good place to recommend for beginners? I wouldn't really like a huge class as it does get quite intimidating. Would like a good school tho for progress as well.
James
user 10858084
Singapore, SG
Post #: 1
I attended JCS. By the way, my apology for posting the following message:

May I know if anyone is interested in all four JLPT2 books for $55 :

完全マスタ­ー2級 日本語能力­試験文法問­題対策
完全マスタ­ー漢字 日本語能力­試験2級レベ­ル
JLPT Level 2 Exam by Topics
Nihongo Noryokushiken JLPT (Japanese Language) Level 2

Books are well taken care of and helps me through the tough questions.

HP: 94600118.