addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Joomla! User Group Bay Area Message Board The Bay Area Joomla Users Group Discussion Forum › Best Hosting Provider for Joomla

Best Hosting Provider for Joomla

A former member
Post #: 14
Hello All.

Just wondering if any of the web developers here have suggestions on good web hosting providers? I'm using GoDaddy right now and they are just too slow. Any pros and cons for HostGator or iPage?

thanks
Steve W.
SteveWyant
Fremont, CA
Post #: 3
I use Hostgator reseller hosting, and have generally had good results. At times the servers seem to take an extra second or 2, but nothing to get worked up about. Definitely an improvement over GoDaddy. My first Joomla install was on GoDaddy, and it didn't take long to find another.

Keep in mind though that your actual results will depend on numerous factors that have nothing to do with your hosting. Your site configuration: caching, gzip, http requests, file sizes, image sprites, etc. will greatly impact site loading times.

I'm giving serious consideration to Rackspace cloud. I've tried CloudAccess' free trial, and the site was quite fast.
Renea L.
rleathers
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
Having just switched to SRI Hosting, I wonder why I put up with Rochen/BlueHost/HostGator for so long.
http://www.joomlabayarea.com/joomla-bay-area-directory/item/sri-hosting-inc­

Added bonus, the guys at SRI regularly attend the Joomla Meetups. So you get to actually talk, in person, to your hosting provider.

I had to learn Plesk (instead of cPanel) but that took a whole 10 minutes.
The guys at SRI Hosting are great. Can't recommend them highly enough.
A former member
Post #: 2
I agree with Steve. I use hostgator reselling and put most all my customers on it. I like having direct access to their cPanel accounts which makes it easier for me to support their needs. Server speed is adequate for the types of customers I write websites for. Like Steve said, you do have to pay attention to file sizes in order to keep the site running at Good speed, but that should be done no matter where the site is hosted. By the way, speaking about hosting, I have a affiliate program which will pay you as a developer 15% back for hosting your clients on my reseller account. 15% of their hosting fees come back to you for as long as they are host with us. Private message me for details.
Steve W.
SteveWyant
Fremont, CA
Post #: 4
I'd like to 2nd Renea's comments. Although I haven't used SRI, Matt's presence and support of our group is huge. And if you're on GoDaddy, learning Plesk or CPanel is a non issue. I would take Renea's solid endorsement of SRI over my "generally pleased" account of HostGator.
A former member
Post #: 4
Am wondering what you all think of Siteground as a web host?
Jennifer G.
user 9435710
Group Organizer
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 31
most of my clients use bluehost or rochen and i like them both fine. yet, i too must do a shout out for SRI. recently one of my clients got a dedicated server from SRI. i really enjoyed working with that server (a lot of dedicated servers really have issues that i don't want to deal with). there weren't any issues to deal with. matt and his team are amazing. so those are the 3 i generally recommend to people. yet, if someone has hostgator or siteground, i'll work with that. they're fine too.

matt s.
user 11102900
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2
I'm blushing. Well, not really, but it is humbling to see the kind words from people on the board. It is my goal that we can help you all, regardless of where you host ... we often work on 3rd party servers, and are happy to do consulting for people no matter the host.

When you talk about the "best" provider, it is of course an impossible question to answer. Much like the best automobile to drive.

If the site is really simple, most $5-20 plans are perfect and the one already running is often "best" given the cost of moving things around. Most $5-20 plans (even ours) are not suitable for larger sites with heavy traffic or requiring high performance. Even if they claim be be unlimited.

Here are some notes from a presentation a couple of us did recently:
http://joomlabayarea....­

Be happy to clarify anything that doesn't make sense.

Matt
A former member
Post #: 15
Thanks everyone for your input and the wonderful discussion!! Lots of good pointers!