May 11, 2009 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Special Presentations -- Cory Webb from
HowToJoomla.net and Kyle Ledbetter from
JoomlaPraise.com will be speaking about templates.
Special Door Prizes Cory and Kyle will be giving away a couple of copies of Cory Webb's new book
Beginning Joomla! Web Development , a 1 year subscription to
JoomlaPraise , and a copy of
JoomlaPraise's new admin template, AdminPraise2.
Special Speakers Cory Webb from
HowToJoomla.netis the founder of Cory Webb Media, LLC, specializing in building Joomla!-powered sites. He has just published a new book,
Beginning Joomla! Website Development , a great reference book for installing, configuring, and managing a Joomla! site. Kyle Ledbetter is from
JoomlaPraise.com. JoomlaPraise.com offers commercial Joomla! templates and extensions. You can also find a few free templates of excellent quality at that site.
Welcome to the bi-monthly meeting of the Joomla Users Group! Please join us for a tip & tricks exchange between fans of the world's most popular web development tool!
NOTE: This meeting is on a Monday to avoid conflict with the PHP User group meeting.
All welcome: Novices, tech-phobic business owners and web developers.
BRING: A laptop with WI-FI card to get the most benefit out of the meeting.
PURPOSE: To provide peer support to help you create your dream site using Joomla!, one of the hottest open source content management systems available. Your imagination is the limit. Joomla allows you to leverage a content management system to make profitable, sophisticated websites for little to no investment other than time.
Central Market, Plano, Community Room A Located in shopping center at Northeast corner of George Bush Freeway and Coit Road. Go to the Cafe On the Run and the take the stairs or the elevator to the 2nd floor. Community Room A is down the hall to the right.
COST: In exchange for dining establishments allowing us to take up valuable space for extended amounts of time, we ordinarily require that each person either order something to eat OR pay a $5 fee, which is given to the restaurant. Since this location is not a restaurant, we are waiving that requirement. Note, however, that
no outside food or drink is allowed. So pick up something in the Cafe if you want something to eat during the meeting.
- Introductions: The meeting usually begins with brief introductions around the table.
- Introduce Yourself
- What is your name?
- What do you do?
- How long have you used Joomla?
- Would you care to share the name/URL of a website or websites you're developing?
- What do you hope to gain from these meetings?
- Do you have any preferences for future meetings and times?
- Announcements: We usually take some time for announcements about Joomla, Joomla Events, or accomplishments.
- Topic of the Day: Templates.
- Kyle Ledbetter will demonstrate Joomlapraise's new administrative template, AdminPraise2
- Kyle and Cory will be talking about what makes a good template and creating a custom template
- Short Break: Our members are so absorbed in the meeting that we sometimes give them a break reminder to take a short break for trips to the restroom, food, etc.
- Q&A: Attendees will be given the opportunity to ask questions
- Drawing for Door Prizes!
- WrapUp, Pay for food (single tickets), Networking, and Planning for the next meeting.