addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Jozi.rb Message Board › RubyOnBeer name change

RubyOnBeer name change

Closed to new replies

Christopher S.
user 12175325
Johannesburg, ZA
Post #: 15
Hey hey,

We've been thinking of changing the name of RubyOnBeer to something without a reference to an alcoholic beverage.

So far we've got JoziRuby of RubyOnJozi. If you've got any other suggestions or thoughts you'd like to share, I'd love to hear your point of view :)

Chris
Gabriel F.
user 45079522
Johannesburg, ZA
Post #: 3
Is there a reason for the name change? Can you help me understand the rationale around this a little more?
Gabriel F.
user 45079522
Johannesburg, ZA
Post #: 4
For what it's worth, I'd like to submit jozi.rb as a suggestion.
Andrew T.
user 12164925
Johannesburg, ZA
Post #: 1
I like jozi.rb
Christopher S.
user 12175325
Johannesburg, ZA
Post #: 16
Ditto - i love that name :)

So, the reason for the name change is that "Beer" has connotations. For some people they're positive, but for others they are negative. I've had several encounters with potential new members, and the hesitation point has always been "Beer".

The longevity of the group and it's impact on the community at large necessitates inclusivity. I feel the members of the group are amazing people and are by themselves very welcoming and open individuals. If the name is the only part that makes new members hesitate before they join, then it'd be a shame for us not to change it.
Gabriel F.
user 45079522
Johannesburg, ZA
Post #: 5
That's a good point, never considered the connotations around alcohol. Cool - let's rename. It'll be a shame to lose that hawt logo though :(
Kenneth K.
kennethkalmer
London, GB
Post #: 10
+1 from me for Jozi.rb... I think it adds a certain amount of discoverability to the group, if you think about similar groups (Seattle.rb, Ok.rb, etc).

Who can whip up an awesome Jozi skyline with an integrated Ruby, or a skyline on top of "rb", or something with skyline? We have a very recognizable skyline with the Hillbrow, Sentech & Ponti towers :)

Did I mention ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
Christopher S.
user 12175325
Johannesburg, ZA
Post #: 17
I'd be very happy to contribute to a bribe for the creator of the current logo. What you think, Kevin?
Andrew T.
user 12164925
Johannesburg, ZA
Post #: 2
Feeling inspired today I threw this together

Christopher S.
user 12175325
Johannesburg, ZA
Post #: 18
lol - where can i get the t-shirt?