Location visible to members
I cycle all over the tri-state area but I've neglected the great biking right here in my own back yard. That ends now. Join me as we cycle the Tour de Staten Island, one of Transportation Alternative's efforts to support green transportation in our city.
The 22 mile tour will start and end at the Tompkinsville Square, less than 1/2 mile away from the Staten Island Ferry! The route will showcase Snug Harbor, before heading inland to the rest stop at Historic Richmondtown, followed by a challenging climb through the greenbelt, and a jaunt following the southern coast with dramatic views of New York Harbor.
The Tour de Staten Island is a "ride at your own pace" event on roads open to traffic. Unlike the other borough tours, there will not be an NYPD escort or road closures. The route will marked with painted arrows; we'll receive a cue sheet and be free to begin the tour as soon as we have checked in and received our official rider-bibs.
For more information, visit the Tour de Staten Island website HERE (https://secure3.convio.net/ta/site/SPageNavigator/2013TDSI.html?pw_id=2881). Note, you need to pre-register and pay for this event -- check out the important stuff section.
The Important Stuff ...
• Cost for the ride is $10.00, you MUST pre-register online and pay at the Tour de Staten Island website here https://secure3.convio.net/ta/site/TRR/Events/General/711990639?pg=ptype&fr_id=1160
• This is going to be a casually-paced (10-12 mph) ride of about 22 miles round trip. There will be parts with some automobile congestion so you must be comfortable riding in a group and in traffic. Helmets are strongly suggested.
• You need to catch the 8:00 AM ferry to Staten Island if you are coming via mass transit.
• Make sure your bike is in good working order before the meetup. You MUST bring a spare inner tube, flat tire repair kit and a lock to secure your cycle.
• Rain or similar un-favorable weather cancels the meetup. For me at least.