addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Kansas City Humanism Meetup Group Message Board › GREAT BALLS OF FIRE AWARD

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 9
In the Enlightenment Era group we award a monthly GREAT BALLS AWARD to an outstanding figure defending free thought, humanism and intellectual inquiry. I'd like to share my nominee for September, in case anyone here is not familiar with him. He's the journalist, author and radical intellectual: Christopher Hitchens.

Here's some information on Hitchens from Wikipedia if you are not familiar with him.

Christopher Eric Hitchens (born April 13, 1949) is an author, journalist, and literary critic. He has been a columnist at Vanity Fair, The Atlantic, World Affairs, The Nation, Slate, Free Inquiry, and a variety of other media outlets. He currently lives in Washington, D.C.. Hitchens is also a political observer, whose books — the latest being God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything[1] — have made him a staple of talk shows and lecture circuits. In 2009 Hitchens was listed by Forbes magazine as one of the "25 most influential liberals in U.S. media."[2] The same article noted, though, that he would "likely be aghast to find himself on this list" and that he "styles himself a radical," not a liberal. In 2007, retaining his British citizenship, Hitchens also became an American citizen after residing in the US for a quarter century.[3]

Hitchens is often regarded as one of the most fundamental figures of modern atheism. Often being described as part of the "new atheism" movement. Hitchens along with fellow atheists Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and Daniel Dennett have often been referred to as "The Four Horsemen". He is an atheist, humanist and anti-theist,[7] and describes himself as a believer in the Enlightenment values of secularism, humanism and reason.

Hitchens is known for his ardent admiration of George Orwell, Thomas Paine, and Thomas Jefferson, and also for his excoriating critiques of Mother Teresa, Bill and Hillary Clinton, and Henry Kissinger, amongst others. Hitchens' argumentative and confrontational style of debate and writing, and strong critique of usually lauded public figures, has gained him both praise by his admirers, and derision from his detractors. The San Francisco Chronicle referred to Hitchens as a "gadfly with gusto".[8]

I can't help it, I love this guy. I don't agree with some of his political opinions and sometimes he seems to take on rather easy religious targets (like his debate with Al Sharpton...what a waste of time) but I have to admire the man's chutzpah and there are few people around who can equal his erudition.

One political attitude of his that I do agree with is that war is not the greatest of evils, tyranny is. It's tyranny and ignorance, prejudice, and power-greed that cause wars. Reduce these tendencies, and wars will be few in number.

Check out Christopher Hitchens on the video sites, such as You Tube or Google Video.

This gentleman is spot on, top drawer, and has GREAT BALLS OF FIRE. BRAVO!