addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Knit Together Message Board Archive › Sit n' Knit Sock Exchange!

Sit n' Knit Sock Exchange!

A former member
Post #: 745
Knitting exchanges tend to be a lot of fun. A LOT of fun. Secret Pal. Favorite Color Swap. Knitter's Tea Swap. I thought it would be fun to do something similar within our group. Based on the responses to this poll, it appears that many of you will have fun with this, too.

So what are we doing? A Sit n' Knit Sock Exchange! And yes, it's a secret exchange. Participants will knit a pair of socks as well as receive a pair of socks.

Please read carefully, I have tried to be as clear as possible with the guidelines. If after reading through you still have a question, please feel free to post a reply to this message board.

To participate, you must be a member of Sit n' Knit New York as well as an experienced sock knitter. "Experienced" meaning you have successfully completed atleast one pair of socks. I don't care if they are plain jane stockinette or fancy shmancy. The point is, you know what goes into making a pair and you will be able to complete a pair for someone who is expecting them. I would really hate for someone to use this as an opportunity to try socks for the first time, get frustrated and then back out at the last minute leaving someone else with cold toes.

Tip: avoid second sock syndrome by knitting 2 at the same time!

Sign up begins today, Thursday, February 7, 2007 and ends Wednesday, February 28, 2007. After I receive all the questionnaires, I will assign knitters to feet. Assignments will be passed out via email on Friday, March 2. (That day is somewhat flexible in case ya know, I go into labor 2 weeks early.) You will have March and April to knit a pair of socks. The exchange will happen in person at a Sit n' Knit Sock Exchange Party on Sunday, April 29, 2007!

To sign up, copy and paste the questionnaire to an email. Fill in all the details and email to snksockexchange AT hotmail DOT com. Do not post your answers here on the message board!

I have hopefully asked enough questions in the form below to inspire you as the giver (Secret Knitter) to knit a pair of socks that your receiver (Secret Feet) will delight in. But keep in mind, you only have to knit at your level! Just because someone says that they really love Pomatomus­, doesn't mean you have to knit them that pair! Perhaps you are more inspired by the fact that they love Trekking sock yarn and you decide to make a pair out of that using stockinette. That is perfectly fine! If you feel comfortable doing something more complicated, go for it!

I will be keeping a list of participants who are willing to have a second pair of socks waiting in case someone has to back out. Things do happen and events come up and despite the best of intentions, someone will have to back down. Hopefully this won't happen! You may also have the option to mail your socks to your Secret Feet, but that is worst-case scenario. The fun is really in the giving and receiving in person!

Sending an email to snksockexchange AT hotmail DOT com does not mean you will start getting tons of email from that address. It is simply a way for me to organize this project by keeping everything somewhat separate from other Sit n' Knit stuff. I plan on sending you an email from that account confirming that I received your questionnaire, an email giving you the info for your Secret Feet, and an email inviting you to the final exchange party. There may be one or two more depending on what comes up, but other than that, all updates will be posted on this thread on the Sit n' Knit message board. So please check the message board.

You do not have to spend money on this exchange. You can use sock yarn already in your stash. There is no financial commitment, just a commitment to knit a pair of socks for an assigned person in the group.

Well, hopefully all that explained everything. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here on the message board. Someone else may be wondering the same thing!
A former member
Post #: 752
Sit n' Knit Sock Exchange

To sign up, copy and paste the questionnaire to an email. Fill in all the details and email to snksockexchange AT hotmail DOT com. (Replace "AT" and "DOT" with the appropriate characters in your email. I have done that as a simple measure to avoid spam).

Do not post your answers here on the message board! (Remember, it's a secret exchange!)

Your full name:

Meetup name:

User id (found in your profile):

Your mailing address (will not be shared, only shared if you can't attend party):

Your blog address (if applicable):

US shoe size:

Circumference of foot in inches:

Circumference of ankle in inches:

Circumference of leg just below calf in inches:

Have you knit a pair of socks before?

Favorite sock yarn to wear:

Least favorite sock yarn to wear:

Any favorite pattern you wish you had, but didn't necessarily have to knit?

Any pattern that you don't like?

Favorite color(s):

Least favorite color(s):

Handknit socks already in your possession (Jaywalker, RPM, etc):

Any allergies or yarn issues (wool allergy or vegan, etc):

Any other allergies that may affect you? (smoking, pets, etc)

Any foot oddities your Secret Knitter should be aware of?

Are you aware that you will be knitting a pair of socks for someone as well as receiving a pair of socks from someone else? (You gotta give to receive!)

Are you interested in being a back up knitter in case someone has to pull out?
Judith
jb07094
Secaucus, NJ
Post #: 6
Can I knit along but not participate in the exchange? I haven't made socks yet but really want to learn.
A former member
Post #: 753
Can I knit along but not participate in the exchange? I haven't made socks yet but really want to learn.

This is a special activity to knit socks for someone else, so there are no get togethers to knitalong specifically for the Sit n' Knit Sock Exchange. Everyone will knit on their own time and exchange at one party at the very end (April).

But you should feel free to cast on socks at any time! I will do other Sit n' Knit Sock events that are open to anyone in the group.

I hope that answers your question!

A-M
hila
HPNY
New York, NY
Post #: 183
is this cool or what!?!
I am excited, and even after all the socks I knit last year, still a bit nervous...smile
Tawana
TawanaH
New York, NY
Post #: 13
Okay, this sound like fun. I 'm in. I have lots of sock yarn to knit. Woo hoo!
A former member
Post #: 26
Since I won the Toasty Toes gift bag at the Holiday Party, I guess I don't have much of an excuse! I'm still nervous though, there's a lot of really gifted knitters in this group.

Debbie
A former member
Post #: 755
Since I won the Toasty Toes gift bag at the Holiday Party, I guess I don't have much of an excuse! I'm still nervous though, there's a lot of really gifted knitters in this group.

Debbie

And you are one of them, dearie! biggrin

Woo hoo!

A-M
A former member
Post #: 758
6 knitters have signed up so far!

Where's YOUR questionaire? Are you on the list?

A-M biggrin
A former member
Post #: 29
6 knitters have signed up so far!

Where's YOUR questionaire? Are you on the list?

A-M biggrin

Ha ha, knit a sock, save the world

Debbie