Ladies and Gentlemen, of all the meetups, in all the world, this is one of those that needs to be attended! We have, with this particular issue, an awesome opportunity to actually STOP corrupt government officials from actually stealing property through a bastardization of eminent domain laws. For those of you who are unaware of what has been going on, I will be more than happy to share, in depth, the whole case. (off list)
However, the summary of the issues at hand are in these bullet points
- Township Commissioners changed zoning laws to stop the family from leasing the property to the Liquor Control Board
- There were zoning law issues when a drug store was planning on leasing the property.
- These zoning issues will be waived if the township acquires the property
- The property was offered as a lease property to the Township, but the township refused to lease the property. The reason? There is grant money available ONLY if the township acquires the property.
- The last time the Township Commissioners took property, it cost the taxpayers $10,000,000 in legal fees.
If this is not enough reason, the township commissioners, in question, are stating that this will be for a community Library. Meanwhile, the main township library is about a mile away, and is rated, by
Hennen's American Public Library Rating system to be in the top 35% of all libraries, in the United States.
If you are someone who cares about property rights and the idea that a government can not take your property without JUST compensation, you should be coming out with us this Thursday!
Hope to see everyone there!