Wanna do something good for the community while satisfying your urge to put things in their proper homes? Come sort food at Manna Food Center in Gaithersburg. There is this warehouse with these giant bins of dry goods that were donated, and someone needs to put the peanut butter in the peanut butter bin and the canned corn in the canned corn bin. Very complicated work. Come bring those awesome hands of yours. If you don't have hands, bring your stumps. Kidding, kidding.
Here's what to expect:
- Park in the parking lot out front. The warehouse isn't easy to spot, but if you go down Gaither, just look for the big food trucks with Manna printed on the side. If you reach iFLY you've gone too far. If you reach Canada, you've really blown it.
- You gotta wear close toed shoes, in case you drop a jar of beans on your hoof.
- When you come inside, there will be an ipad on the wall, and you have to sign your life away—nah, just a standard waiver.
- I'll provide an overview of the sorting tasks and explain how expiration dates are all a sham.
- Then we'll get to sorting for as long as we want. We gotta be out by nine. We aren't required to stay that long though.
- We gotta have at least 5 people. And we have to cap it at 15.
- Wear whatever clothes are comfortable. The warehouse is slightly chilly. I dunno, it's a warehouse. But it is heated. Maybe just don't wear a beach kaftan or something. Or do, whatever floats your boat.
- Afterwards we can go to La Mexicana for drinks if people want to.
I know on Thursday nights people are tired, but this is really doing good for real people. Your help will be appreciated.