Sep 10, 2011 · 8:30 AM
We are please to announce our first code retreat, kindly hosted and sponsored by Valtech.
What is a code retreat?
Coderetreat is a day-long, intensive practice event, focusing on the fundamentals of software development and design. By providing developers the opportunity to take part in focused practice, away from the pressures of 'getting things done', the code retreat format has proven itself to be a highly effective means of skill improvement. Practicing the basic principles of modular and object-oriented design, developers can improve their ability to write code that minimizes the cost of change over time.
How does it work?
The coderetreat day consists of 5-6 sessions, each session's learnings building upon previous sessions. The morning focuses on becoming comfortable with the problem domain, breaking old habits and beginning focused self-discovery. The afternoon pushes the envelope by challenging pairs to stretch their skills and understanding of abstractions, modular design and test-driven development.
Coderetreat has an established, time-tested format that is optimized for focused practice.
- Problem: Conway's Game of Life
- Length of Session: 45 minutes
- Duration: 8.30am to 5 or 6pm
- Language: whatever the pair is comfortable in
- Pair-programming is necessary, as the knowledge transfer contained in that activity is essential to the practice
- Prefer using Test-Driven Development (TDD)
- After each session, pairs should be swapped
- After each session, code must be deleted, not put in a branch, not stashed, just deleted with no trace left
Below is a rough outline for the day.
- 8 - 8.45am : arrival, coffee/breakfast
- 8.45 - 9am : welcome, introductions, explanation of the problem
- 9 - 9.45am : Session #1
- 9.45 - 10am : retrospective, break
- 10 - 10.45am : Session #2
- 10.45 - 11am : retrospective, break
- 11 - 11.45am : Session #3
- 11.45 - 12pm : retrospective, break
- 12 - 1.30pm : lunch, socializing
- 1.30 - 2.15pm : Session #4
- 2.15 - 2.30pm : retrospective, break
- 2.30 - 3.15pm : Session #5
- 3.15 - 3.30pm : retrospective, break
- 3.30 - 4.15pm : Session #6
- 4.15 - 4.30pm : retrospective, break
- 4.30 - 5pm : Closing circle