addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Pot-luck recipes

Pot-luck recipes

Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 58
Raw Layer Cake

No real recipe for this. I just made it up as I went along. (Which is one of the things I love about raw food.) But from memory this is what was in it...

Bottom layer: Very finely chopped organic cauliflower (just the head), with dried organic garlic, garlic powder, and mustard powder to taste - and turmeric to colour. A food processor makes a great job of chopping up the cauliflower. But put the dried garlic through a garlic press first to make sure it's mixed in properly.

Second layer: Coarsely chopped organic carrot, sprouted chickpeas, and ground ginger. Again, I used the food processor for the carrots. (And I love my Easy Sprout Sprouter for sprouting.)

Third layer: Rehydrated organic sun dried tomatoes and organic extra virgin olive oil. Chopped and mixed in the food processor. Are you starting to see a theme here?

Fourth layer: Finely chopped organic cauliflower leaves, coarsely chopped red onion, organic garden peas, cayenne, organic black pepper - and a splash of Bragg Liquid Aminos. You'll never guess how I did the chopping...

Fifth layer: Nutritional yeast flakes, more organic black pepper, organic grey sea salt.

I think that's it! Photo here.
A former member
Post #: 1
Raw Lemon Cherry Bites

Super simple although you do need a food processor. Or a grinder like I have. But then you'll also need patience and determination! I used dried cherries because they're my favourite but you could replace them with goji berries, acai berries, dried cranberries, any tart dried berry you prefer!

Two cups raw almonds
A pinch of himalayan salt
Ten medjool dates, pitted and soaked for 15 minutes
Two lemons (you'll need both the juice and zest)
Half a cup chopped dried cherries
And I also added half a cup dessicated coconut that I soaked for 45 minutes and then drained (unsweetened shredded coconut is best if you can find it, otherwise just soak dessicated coconut will do)

Process your almonds and salt into a fine meal. Add the dates, lemon juice and zest and process until combined. Transfer to a bowl and mix in your cherries and coconut. You can make your dough into any shapes you like! I made mine into bite-sized round balls. Freeze them for 30 minutes and then place them in a tupperware and keep them in the fridge so they stay firm.

Voilà! Bon appétit.
A former member
Post #: 1
Vegan Pasties (makes 12)

400 self-raising flour (I used plain though and they turned out fine)
200g soya margarine
250g potatoes
250g carrots
200g leeks
250g onions
3 cloves garlic
1 tin of lentils/borlotti beans/kidney beans
1 cube of vegetable stock
Seasoning: salt, pepper, cumin, tumeric, mixed herbs, chilli powder

Pastry: sieve the flour into a bowl. Break the marg into pieces and rub into flour until mixture is like breadcrumbs. Make a well in the middle and slowly add some water and mix in until the dough is soft but not sticky. Put in a bowl and cover and put in the fridge for about 30 mins.

Mixture:

• Peel and chop all the veg. The carrots and potatoes should be cut into small cubes. Fry gently for about 15 mins in oil until the veg softens.
  • Add the lentils and fry.
  • Add the seasoning. I used loads of different seasonings. You can probably experiment and use curry powder and paprika too.
  • Mix a veg stock cube with 500ml of boiling water. Slowly add to the veg mixture. Allow to simmer gently for about 20 mins until most of the water has boiled away and the veg is soft.
  • Let the mixture cool for a while.

Take the ball of pastry out of fridge. Get a large piece of clingfilm or aluminium foil. Fold it in half and put the pastry in the middle. Roll out the pastry whilst it's between the clingfilm. This stops the pastry sticking to the worktop and makes it much easier to work with.

Get a circle (use a small plate or bowl) of about 15cm in diameter. Use this to press firmly down on the pastry and cut out your circles. Put these on a baking tray with aluminium foil.

Put a big tablespoon of mixture in the middle of each circle and fold the pastry over. Crimp the edges to make a pasty shape.

Put in the oven (200 degrees) for about 20 mins until the pasties are brown.

• Shaun
    user 47195892
    London, GB
    Post #: 2
    Chocolate Cake

Step 1: Ingredients

Cake Ingredients

1 1/4 cups flour
    1 cup sugar (packed dark brown muscovado sugar)
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup warm water
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/3 cup coconut oil
    1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar

Chocolate Glaze

1/2 cup sugar (packed dark brown muscovado sugar)
    4 tbsp margarine
    2 tbsp soy milk
    2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 tsp vanilla extract

Step 2: Mix
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In an 8X8 square pan/dish, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a fork, making sure it is really blended together. Add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar, and again, mix together so that it's really blended together. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides if necessary.

Step 3: Bake
    Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on a rack completely (2 hours).

Step 4: Make Chocolate Glaze
    For the glaze, in a small saucepan, bring sugar, margarine, milk, and cocoa to a boil. Stir frequently; then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. It'll look gloppy, but it's just the bubbles! Remove from heat and stir for another 5 minutes.

Add vanilla, stir, and immediately pour onto cake. Glaze dries really quickly, so spread it immediately and add any sprinkles now. Let this cool for an 1 hour, if you can wait that long!

I sprinkled some chopped almonds and strategically positioned some glazed cherries (cut in half).

The original recipe may be found here: http://www.instructab...­
    Shaun
    user 47195892
    London, GB
    Post #: 3
    Sweet Potato Pie with Coconut Cream Frosting

Recipe Notes

Cook, cool, and peel the sweet potato before proceeding; I roasted mine until tender (about 25 minutes) but you could also boil them. Bake and cool the crust before you make the pie filling, and make the coconut cream after your pie has had time to cool; you'll need to refrigerate a can of full-fat coconut milk overnight. It helps to also chill the bowl you'll be whipping the cream in for a few minutes before you're ready to whip.

INGREDIENTS

For the crust
    1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    2 tablespoons maple syrup

For the filling
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
    2 (or more) sweet potatoes, cooked
    3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt

For the coconut whipped cream
    1 can chilled full-fat coconut milk (fat solids only)
    2 teaspoons confectioners sugar or maple syrup
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1)Add pecans and rolled oats to a blender and grind to a powder. Make sure you don't overblend — you may end up making a paste. Place flour in a medium-sized bowl and add pecan and oat mixture. Mix well.

2)Add the coconut oil and mix with a fork until it is thoroughly incorporated into the flour mixture.

3)Stir in the maple syrup; mix just enough to blend well and form a dough that will hold together when pressed.

4)Transfer mixture to a 9-inch pie pan and spread into an even thickness on the sides and bottom of the pan.

5)Poke holes in bottom and sides of the crust. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let the crust cool before filling.

6)While crust is baking, make the pie filling: in a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar and cornstarch until combined. Add sweet potato, almond milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt and whisk until blended. Pour mixture into pre-baked pie crust.

7)Bake 1 hour or until edges are set and center slightly jiggles. Let cool on a wire rack at least 1 hour before serving.

8)Once pie has cooled, open the can of chilled coconut milk, turn upside down, and open. Pour out the liquid at the top; you'll use the cream part, not the liquid.

9)Gently pour the coconut fat into your chilled mixing bowl and whisk with a hand blender or standing mixer until whipped. Add confectioners sugar and vanilla or maple syrup and whip again until fully incorporated. Spread evenly onto pie and refrigerate.

Link to original recipe: http://www.fitsugar.c...­
    Christine
    user 14227744
    London, GB
    Post #: 3
    SHIITAKE MUSHROOM NOODLES RECIPE

very simple and quick to make and, medicinal if not cosmetic!!! (who knows?!)

1 tub of fresh shiitake mushrooms from any supermarket, wash them and cut them into pieces. Fry in a some olive oil and grapeseed oil and a nice big splash of soy sauce in a pan with the lid on all the time. After 3mns or so of sizzling, add 1 tub of fresh baby sweetcorn and 4 or 5 roughly chopped leaves from a Chinese white leaf cabbage (also available in any big supermarket). I can't remember if I added a chopped carrot or not.... up to you now. Leave the lid on the pan or pot or frying pan (whichever you are using) at all times, so to keep and create moisture.
    Prepare on the side some plain instant noodles in a little hot boiling water. Cover until the water has been absorbed into the noodles and they are are soft, give them a little stir now and again and wait some 4mns or so.
    Add the noodles into the rest and stir. Taste and according to your taste, you may need to add more olive oil and soy sauce. Finally add a handful of raw chinese leaf and mix and cover with the lid again. Leave for another minute so this handful of Chinese leaf is warmed but not cooked (it's delicious raw anyway) and it will add some crunch to your noodle dish. Enjoy!
    Shiitake mushrooms are famed for having anti-cancer properties.
    This is what I found on Wikipedia under 'shiitake mushroom': 'During the Ming Dynasty (AD 1368–1644), physician Wu Juei wrote that the mushroom could be used not only as a food but as a medicinal mushroom, taken as a remedy for upper respiratory diseases, poor blood circulation, liver trouble, exhaustion and weakness, and to boost qi, or life energy.[6] It was also believed to prevent premature aging.'
    Jessica Stella F.
    user 41450522
    London, GB
    Post #: 10
    Hello Potluckers :)

My Spring Chick-less Stuffed Polenta 'Eggs';

A packet of Polenta
    Cayenne Pepper
    Ground Black pepper
    Madras Curry Powder
    Orangic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Orangic Chickpeas
    Organic Carrots
    Organic Red Onions
    Organic Garlic
    Creamed Coconut
    Organic Tomato Puree
    Maldon Salt

I made them in batches of 6 'egg' halves, set in a silicone Easter Egg mold!
    Great fun!

So, the note on the polenta box gives you this guide;
    4 table spoons of polenta to 1 cup of boiling hot water

Before the water started to boil, I placed the 4 tablespoons of polenta into a ramakin,
    adding plenty of ground black pepper, a dash *but not too much* cayenne pepper,
    plus a little spoon or 2 of Madras Curry powder....

Then when the water was boiling, the polenta spiced mix all went in, plus a few
    splashes of olive oil; polenta doesn't take that long to thicken up & after about
    5 minutes, *I stirred with a wooden spoon quite constantly* then I had the mold
    ready on the side, & whilst still hot, I spooned 6 gooey mix 'dollops' into the half
    'egg' molds & gently moved it about to fill the shape/touch the sides/take on the
    shape!

You'll see how much fun they are to pop out when you take them out after
    you've popped them in the freezer for about 15 minutes.... & then you set
    them aside ready for the filling.....

I made the filling seperately & cooked it before filling in the set polenta 'egg' halves....

Just lightly crush the chick peas, & finely chop the Carrots & Red onions;
    I made each filling batch along side the batch of 6 'egg' halves....
    ...so to fill 6 'halves' it was about a few handfuls of chickpeas, a carrot or 2,
    & a couple of small red onions, plus several cloves of garlic and some creamed
    coconut, & a bit of Tomato puree, stirred in a frying pan in Extra Virgin Olive oil,
    for a while...

Then I simply spooned it into the polenta eggs & I added a little layer
    of polenta later on to the backs to keep the mix in the eggs when turned over....

The Chick-less 'eggs' are left to set; I popped them in the freezer & they set pretty quickly;
    then later I finished them off, decorating with sunflower seeds, pressed firmly into the polenta,
    then lastly toasted under the grill! :)

Of course, you don't have to go to the fuss of making them egg shaped, you could indeed
    just make one big pan of polenta *I made 30 'eggs' which is basically 20-22 table spoons
    of polenta mix, ((with spice as above or whatever you fancy mixing in to taste)) in 5 cups
    of boiling water*..... then place the gooey polenta in a dish & top with the 'filling' (same as
    above)..... but they are fun to make as 'egg' shapes, & certainly look nice!
    ....& they do taste nice, if I do say so myself...!!!

See the photos here from last week; http://www.londonvega...­

Enjoy!
    All the best,
    Jess
    :)
    Shaun
    user 47195892
    London, GB
    Post #: 4
    Trifle
    Here's the link to the recipe I based my trifle on: http://www.bestvegang...­

For the fruit - I used Mango, Melon, Pineapple and Grape.
    For the cream - I added Maple Syrup and a bit more Corn Flour and Vanilla Essence than called for in the recipe, as I really, really, really, really did not want the taste of coconut to overpower everything else (which it can if you let it - very naughty coconut) :-)
    The custard was Alpro Soya Custard (lazy me :-D)
    I also needed to use more water (than specified) to make the sponge/biscuit dough.
    For the jam - I used Fig Preserve ('cause I like it).
    The Jelly was made using Vegetarian Strawberry Jelly Crystals, made by 'Just Wholefoods', which I got at Planet Organic (and which might be available at Holland & Barrett as well)
    Robb
    robbmasters
    Group Organizer
    London, GB
    Post #: 65
    I had a few people asking about my pastries. Which foolishly I forgot to photograph!

Anyway, the recipe was based on this non-vegan one:
    http://korenainthekit...­

However, I used Jus-Rol Puff pastry instead of the sour-dough, and Toffutti instead of the cream cheese. (I didn't bother substituting anything for the egg.)

Enjoy!
    Jessica Stella F.
    user 41450522
    London, GB
    Post #: 12
    I followed a recipe & then just made up a filling to create my Mochi!! :)

One cup of glutinous rice flour *bought mine in Brixton*
    3/4 cup of water *That's just less than a cup water to a cup of flour; add water slowly if you like to get consistency just right/not too runny!! Might be less than 3/4 cup of water!*
    2 or more tablespoons of sugar *to taste*

It's pretty simple; you mix the rice flour, sugar & water together into
    a gloopy mix, but it shouldn't be too runny, but workable & give it a
    good kneed & it's consistency should be nice...

The filling >>
    I melted a 1/4 bar of chocolate *a 200g bar of Waitrose Dark Chocolate; it's about 8 pieces worth*
    Added ground sunflower seeds
    And vanilla essence

And this makes a nice paste;so I rolled little bits into small balls....

Get a small to medium amount of 'gloopy' rice mix & make into a ball,
    *small or larger balls, whatever you want to do* then flatten, so you make a small circle disc,
    & pop a bit of your paste filling in the middle then bring the edges of the rice mix to the middle,
    enclosing the paste, making sure there's no holes or it'll just pop/go wrong in the pan.... then
    gently roll it in your palms, to form it back to a ball shape.

Make as many as you want, whatever size you want; I made 42 smallish Mochi, little bites,
    but they can be any size you fancy.

Pop a pan of water on to boil then add the Mochi; when they rise to the surface of the boiling water,
    they're done!

Scoop them out & then you can either lightly dust them in ground sunflower seeds like I did,
    so that you can easily pick up the light bites, or traditionally, they may be served in a sweet
    syrup or broth (& I've just realized they have different names for these too, but Mochi, Tang Yuan,
    similar/variants!!* :) )

The traditional filling is red/green bean paste; & they can be rolled in sesame seeds! :)

See this link *cheers Liane :) * >>
    http://breadetbutter....­

All the best,
    Glad people liked them & that they came out alright; I got some lovely feedback! :)
    Bye for now,
    Jess :)