addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Vegan Meetup Message Board › 40-70 yr old vegans needed for Kings College study on heart rate variability

40-70 yr old vegans needed for Kings College study on heart rate variability

Tim
user 7024040
London, GB
Post #: 3
Please see below, also they have a facebook page:
https://www.facebook....­

Pilot observational study to compare heart rate variability in vegans and age-matched omnivore controls – advertisement

‘Advertisement for use for recruitment of volunteers for study ref: BDM/12/13-84, approved by BDM RESC. This project contributes to the College’s role in conducting research, and teaching research methods. You are under no obligation to reply to this email, however if you choose to, participation in this research is voluntary and you may withdraw at any time.’

We would like to invite you to take part in a study to compare heart rate variability (a measure of heart function) between vegans and omnivores. The omega-3 fatty acids (fatty acids are the constituents of fat) are found mainly in fish, where they are derived from marine plants, but also in meat and eggs in small amounts. An intake of these omega-3 fatty acids has been proposed to influence heart rate variability. Since vegans lack omega-3 fatty acids in their diet, this study will investigate whether there are differences in heart rate variability between vegans and omnivores. Your heart function will be assessed by an Actiheart monitor, a chest-worn monitoring device that records heart rate and physical activity in one combined, light-weight, waterproof unit.

If you are healthy, you do not smoke and you are aged between 40 and 70 years then you may be able to help us. We are recruiting vegans and omnivores.

If you are interested in participating, we will need to ask some questions about your health first via telephone or e-mail (5 minutes) and you will need to be available to attend the Metabolic Research Unit of the Diabetes & Nutritional Sciences Division (4th Floor Franklin-Wilkins Building, Waterloo campus, King’s College London) for a clinic visit (approximately 2 hours). We will also ask you to complete a food frequency questionnaire, which includes questions about what you eat. In this visit we will record your height, weight, waist circumference, percentage body fat, blood pressure, and a fasting blood sample (20 ml equivalent to 4 teaspoons). We will then fit the Actiheart monitor and you will be required to wear it for the following 24 hours. During the recording period we will ask you to keep a record of daily activities (exercise, meals or naps). After the clinic visit is completed you will be served a light breakfast.

For further information please contact us to request an information leaflet about the study. The study has been approved by BDM RESC at King’s College London, Reference No. BDM/12/13-84) and recruitment for volunteers will take place from May 2013.

Thank you for your interest.

For further information please contact:
om3gastudy@yahoo.co.uk
Diabetes & Nutritional Sciences Division
King’s College London, Franklin Wilkins Building
150 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NH
Telephone Number: 020 7848 4162
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 543
I wonder whether they cover travel costs/expenses... I'll call them.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 544
Sent them a message on Farcebook instead, I'll let you know if I hear back from them.
yvonne h.
user 10230813
Epsom, GB
Post #: 1
Hi Ive just phoned them and they do cover expenses.Just keep your receipts :)
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 549
Yes, sorry, I did get that same reply, I'd just been too busy to post it on here. Thanks.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 550
Silly thing is that you don't get a ticket/receipt using an Oyster card, so it'll probably cost them more money if people don't use them as a result.
Jane A
user 53135452
London, GB
Post #: 12
you have to be at least 4 years vegan and although I am nearly there - and veggie most of my life its not enough although they said they may come back to me :)
yvonne h.
user 10230813
Epsom, GB
Post #: 2
Ive already done it.Very interesting,you get a full body analysis.fat percentage,muscle percentage etc....and they give you the results of your full blood count and kidney function about a week later :) However,take some nuts or something for breakfast as they provide only bread and jam :0
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 555
I can't believe they didn't bother to mention that 4-years-vegan requirement; I took the Vegan Pledge in January 2012, so that counts me out.

Thanks for all the info ladies... I trust the bread and jam were vegan!
yvonne h.
user 10230813
Epsom, GB
Post #: 3
lol,yes bread and jam were vegan,but the margarine was not(even though they had bought it especially)and no soya milk.Same old same old-make sure you bring your own food :)