Join us for a great evening training ride along the beach path from Marina Del Rey to the southern end of Redondo Beach and back. At night there will be few people on the path and best of all, no cars to worry about.
This will be a "flat" ride with very little climbing but we will keep a good pace to get a great workout. Ability is very relative but as a gauge of sorts I'd say you should be able to keep an average speed of about 15 mph on the flats with no wind.
Type of bike needed:
This intended as a "road biking" ride so a road (racing) bike is recommended but if you are a strong rider you may be able to keep up on a fast hybrid or XC mountain bike.
We'll meet at the large parking lot at Dock 52 off Fiji Way in Marina Del Rey at about 6:15 PM. Please get there early. It usually takes 10-15 minutes just to get ready. We'll start riding as soon as everyone who signed up are there and ready or at 6:30 PM sharp.
The bike ride route:
Note: High probability of rain will cancel the ride (please check to see if ride is still on before attending).
About 27miles round trip.
About 2 ½ hours or so riding time.
For mid-summer rides you may not need lights but for the rest of the year a good light is mandatory as it gets quite dark at the beach. The following light is recommended and is actually a very good deal as these type of lights are often several hundred dollars: Magicshine 1000 Lumens Lightset.
Click here for Google directions to the meeting spot.
There should be plenty of free parking at the large parking lot at Dock 52 (see photo).
It is inconsiderate to the leader and anyone on the waiting list to RSVP and not show up, therefore I am registering no-shows. For this event you need to change your RSVP to "No" minimum 30 minutes before the start of the event. If you have multiple no-shows on your record you may not be admitted to events where there are people on the waiting list.
Please ensure that you are in good health before participating and understand that there is risk involved in road biking and group rides. You can get hurt. As an event organizer I assume absolutely no responsibility for you. I am simply a "ride buddy", nothing more. If you choose to participate, you assume all responsibility for yourself and your equipment and agree not to hold me or our Meetup group liable in any way. Also, please adhere to the following:
- Always wear a helmet when biking. This is mandatory, no exceptions.
- A good light for riding in the dark. This is mandatory.
- Make sure your bike is in good working condition, with the tires properly inflated [masked] psi for road bikes) and the chain lubricated prior to the ride.
- Bring at least one spare tube, energy bars/food and enough water.
- If you have toolkit, pump/co2, or first aid kit, bring them.
- Learn and use standard hand signals for group rides.
- Be courteous and considerate to pedestrians/runners, other riders and drivers.
- For night rides I recommend wearing bright clothing with reflective markers and have a blinking tail light.