addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado Libertarians Message Board › Liberty Dollars

Liberty Dollars

Robert L.
Cyberbob8385
Aurora, CO
Post #: 9
I just got my first order of Liberty Dollars (www.libertydollar.org) today. God! What beautiful coins! And 100% compatible with Libertarianism (in fact, there's one hanging in the LPCO's office).

We all need to get a stock of these bad boys and start flooding the economy with them. Tried to spend one at 7-11 today and they wouldn't take it. Tomorrow, I'm mailing my formal complaint (and suggestion to start accepting them) to their corporate headquarters...I made sure to mention how they can make a profit while pleasing customers and improving public image.

Please, for the sake of Liberty, get a handful of them and start trying to spend them everywhere you can. Eventually, enough people will ask about them to get noticed.
Mike S.
mspalding
Group Organizer
Littleton, CO
Post #: 4
I've used Liberty Dollars for over a year (I still have some $10 base). The key is to try them at many places and not to spend a lot of time trying to get them accepted at any one place. From what I understand most of them get taken by folks who want the cool coin for their personal enjoyment. This might not help to grow a new currency, but it does spread them around. You can also spend them at merchants that are part of the movement. The Liberty Dollar website lists over 4400 by state at http://www.libertydol...­. Colorado has nearly 100.
Robert L.
Cyberbob8385
Aurora, CO
Post #: 13
Thing is, even if they just want it for their own collection and don't keep it in circulation, it still helps it grow as a currency. That's yet another person that now knows about them and may, in the future, be more likely to accept one.

That's my theory--and I've found that there's not a waitress around who will refuse one as a tip. ;)
Chris
user 3390748
Denver, CO
Post #: 9
I have looked into liberty dollars and I am curious as to their value. Since Liberty dollars are backed with gold I don't understand how they would retain their value as compared to the US Dollar? Any thoughts or answers?
Robert L.
Cyberbob8385
Aurora, CO
Post #: 16
Right now there's at a $20 silver base (one ounce of silver is worth $20). To compensate for the market variations in precious metal pricing, the spot value of the silver is somewhat less than the face value. So if you're looking for an investment in precious metals, you'd be better off elsewhere. But if you're looking for an alternate currency, the Liberty Dollars work great.
Chris
user 3390748
Denver, CO
Post #: 10
Thanks Robert, but I guess I still don't understand. Take Canadian Dollar's for instance, they are legal tender in the US but as our different economies fluctuate so does the value of the Canadian Dollar. I would imagine that as the price of silver fluctuates so would the value of the Liberty Dollar.

But it is a great concept.

smile

Chris
Robert L.
Cyberbob8385
Aurora, CO
Post #: 16
Well, the actual spot value of the silver does fluctuate from day to day. But the actual silver content is slightly less than the face value of the currency. So even if the silver value does change from one day to the next, the face value stays the same.

So the once of silver may be worth $15 today. It does fluctuate, so I'm not sure exactly how much it is. But the one ounce silver Liberty has a face value of $20. As currency, you use it at face value. So if the spot value of silver goes up to $17, the same silver piece would still spend at the same face value of $20.

This is a convenience factor, to get it into distribution, instead of having to pull out the calculator for currency conversions. I'm in agreement with G. Edward Griffin. We both believe it may be a better idea to use the current market value of the silver instead of the system they use. However, understanding that, for a currency to become popular enough to threaten the Federal Reserve System, convenience will be a major factor, we both support the Liberty Dollar without hesitation.