addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado Libertarians Message Board › Education

Education

Robert L.
Cyberbob8385
Aurora, CO
Post #: 10
The collectivist model of government relies on a poorly informed population. They use clever tricks to make people feel like they're doing the right thing for the greater good of the greater number, when all they're really doing is giving up their rights.

Liberty relies on a well informed and active population. In order to have a Libertarian society, the people need to understand the basics of how things affect each other. When this is accomplished, not only will they be happier with more freedom, but they'll understand that liberty isn't just an ideal. It's also quite logical.

I think we need to get some kind of strong education program. We need to get articles in newspapers, get speakers in schools, etc.

Anyone have any ideas how to put something like that together?
A former member
Post #: 17
Jeff, along with the state membership director, Clint and possibly assistant Boulder Chair, Kristin who is a superstar activist like our core Arapahonians are building a program management and both Jeff and Clint have specific goals surrounding the outreach and education. It is important to note that their success will require them to delegate specific tasks to individuals as well as to affilliates in general and so I forsee an actual build up of designated project and program managers for outreach and education down to affilliate and smallest local (school) levels out there. I am anxious for the gear up of our own internal education so each and every one of us can be a super star educator and communicator.
Robert L.
Cyberbob8385
Aurora, CO
Post #: 13
Sounds like a blast. I'll tell you what, though. One thing I've discovered over the last couple of months: The best way to get someone to listen is to get them involved in the discussion.

The Advocates recently featured an article in the Liberator Online (if you don't get it, sign up now) saying you just just use the word "you" instead of "I." Meaning, "Why should you have you pay for other kids' education?" rather than "Why should I have to pay for other peoples' kids' education?"

This is certainly true. Face it, people are selfish. They love giving other people's money and keeping as much as they can of their own. So put it into perspective for them.

But I think it goes beyond that. Find a particular issue that gets people excited, and bring them in that way. Involve them in the process. Just as an example, I like to use Liberty Dollars. Even when a store rejects it, the clerk has learned about the new currency. And she's likely to remember it, not just because it's a good idea, but because it was an interesting transaction she was involved in.

So it's not just talking to people. It's getting people involved that will wake them up.
Chris
user 3390748
Denver, CO
Post #: 8

This is certainly true. Face it, people are selfish. They love giving other people's money and keeping as much as they can of their own. So put it into perspective for them.

But I think it goes beyond that. Find a particular issue that gets people excited, and bring them in that way. Involve them in the process. Just as an example, I like to use Liberty Dollars. Even when a store rejects it, the clerk has learned about the new currency. And she's likely to remember it, not just because it's a good idea, but because it was an interesting transaction she was involved in.

I agree. One of my best approaches with talking to people is bringing up rights that they are concerned with. I have had a lot of success with both gay rights activists and gun rights supporters. It is interesting how many people think that they can do a better job controling things. One thing I love about the Libertarian Party is that we believe we can control our own lives. But for instance when somebody tells me they support a ban on gay marriage but are pro-guns. It is rather easy to convince them that gay marriage isn't very important compared to gun rights. And they would rather have gay marriage with gun rights rather than no gay marriage and no 2nd amendment rights.

Support for a ban on Gay Marriage and Support for a ban on Assualt Rifles are both high enough that a politian who doesn't support either one has a hard time getting elected. Rights are Rights to me Period.
A former member
Post #: 3
This is a wonderful disussion! This is an idea I have been trying to put into words and action for a while and you guys have done a great job of doing it!
That is why my cards and flyers I am working on focus on specific issues that are important to the intended recipient.
Also, I have an answer prepared for the gay marriage/gun rights question. You reply:"I know you may disagree with the way your neighbors may live their lives. You have a right to your beliefs just as they have a right to theirs. But gay marriage will not endanger the lives of your family, while criminals do. And if the government has a right to ban same-sex marriage, they also have a right to ban guns, as well as anything else you have a right to do or own, and anything else you might believe in yourself. So when dealing with big government, it is sometimes necessary to put aside our individual differences and realize that we are all in this together!"
Robert L.
Cyberbob8385
Aurora, CO
Post #: 20
That's a good idea. Cards and flyers specifically designed for different "types" of people. I'm going to have to make a few of those myself.