addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › global warming is great for Maine organic agriculture

global warming is great for Maine organic agriculture

David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 6
Dear Mary and all,

Francis and I are total newcomers to growing fruit trees which we planted in the fall, so we have everything to learn.

I noticed Mary, you said you had to "spray the peach and apricot trees."

I suspect I'm being naive in thinking that if I plant this spring the kinds of "guilds" under or near each of the 8 trees we planted I won't have to use a spray. Does the method of attracting pests with other plantings work or not? Or maybe some of the time?

Secondly, what should we do with our young fruit tree saplings this spring besides try the guilding method -- which is why I'm reading like mad so I can plant by early spring the supports the fruit trees need?

We've got 1 sour cherry, 2 sweet cherry, 2 peach, 2 plum and 1 apple tree. I can give specifics on these if anyone needs it to give us advice.

Thanks a lot,
Elaine

Elaine
===================­===

Elaine,

Leaf curl is a mold that is always on your trees (peaches and other stone fruit)but usually only expresses it self in cold, wet, springs. The spores hang around in the nodes. Once it gets started it cannot be stopped. It causes leaves to deform, then turn brown and fall of in the middle of the growing season. It probably won't kill the tree but will lower the fruit production and overall health of the tree.

Over a period of a few years uncontrolled leaf curl will eventually kill it. Bonide organic lime sulpur spray should work. One thing I have noticed is that rain will keep washing it off and respraying is necessary. It may alter your soil ph slightly but otherwise should be no problem. It only takes a few days of cold rainy weather to get it started. When I lived in Gardiner I had peach trees that gave me problems. The tree that had some shade during the day had more leaf curl.

At my new home in Washington, I have not had leaf curl yet. There are other problems that can develop from wild cherry trees nearby.

David Spahr
A former member
Post #: 15
Sounds like David explained peach leaf curl very well. There is one thing that I understand differently though. I learned about peach leaf curl the hard way when my peach tree became infected the second year with every leaf curling and all the fruit dropping. Since then I have sprayed during the very early spring before the buds have swelled,and have had excellent control. My understanding is that if the buds have started to swell it's too late, and that only one spraying is necessary. If I see a leaf or two that have curled I just pinch them off.

I only wish my other fruit tree problems were so easy as this one! I think I will start a thread on pest control for fruit trees.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 88
Good discussion all around. Question for folks in this thread/group: Is there anyone that would be willing to share some knowledge at either our March or April (timing may be important here) meetups about "Spring Care of Fruit Trees?"

I know that could be a multi-day class, but I'm just thinking of an Intro-type session to hit the high points and point people in the direction of useful resources?

Thanks!
Lisa