addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Rocket Cook Stove

Rocket Cook Stove

Jonathan C.
user 13818542
Portland, ME
Post #: 8
Here are the fruits of my latest labors making a rocket cook stove. This is designed to be used for outdoor cooking with a wok but it works great for other types of cooking. All pics are of the same stove core in various states of being finished. The final stove has a sheet metal skirt to cover the metal frame and adds a bit of insulation. Jon

Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 84
Very nice Jon! What materials is it constructed of?
Jonathan C.
user 13818542
Portland, ME
Post #: 9
Jesse, The insulated chimney is made from insulating clay refractory bricks I formed using a wooden mold and then fired in a kiln. They are wired together, wrapped with hardware cloth and then parged with cement to hold the whole thing together. So far everything seems to be holding up well and no cracking due to thermal expansion. I think the reinforcement with wire is doing its job. It burns clean and hot. Last night I made wood fired pickles using the rocket cooker to boil the water bath for canning. As you know it much nicer to cook outside this time of year. Kept the large canning pot boiling for a couple of hours on a bundle of scrap wood. Jon
Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 85
Next project for ya- Here's an interesting rocket-stove pizza oven:

http://www.flickr.com...­
Jonathan C.
user 13818542
Portland, ME
Post #: 10
One of the next projects for this rocket stove is an insulated "white" oven for pizza. Not quite as large an oven as the 50 gallon drum but the same idea. Funny, I was just talking to a friend about the pizza oven idea last night at dinner. This stove is sort of the heart of many cooking accessories. Nothing like wood fired pizza without the wait.
Jasmine S.
user 75340962
Islesford, ME
Post #: 1
beautiful stove! any chance a workshop could be planned?
Jonathan C.
user 13818542
Portland, ME
Post #: 12
Lisa, did you see this last post? We are working on times for a workshop this fall, stay tuned for times. The idea as planned is for an evening of brick making followed in several weeks by an assembly day probably on the weekend for 1/2 to 3/4 of the day. We are planning on making 2 or 3 stoves based on numbers of participants. The resilience hub will have one for demos and the others will be used by another group for demos. The molds for the bricks will be available for use at the hub. The class stoves will be a bit simpler and use very little metal to make it easier and more accessible for those without access to a metal shop. However, the basic idea could be tweaked for a built in burner outside or placed in a metal can to make it very portable. Jon
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,335
Yes, this will hit the meetup schedule very soon! Everyone watch your inboxes in a few days.
Rachel L.
Rachellyn
Gray, ME
Post #: 31
very excited for this!
dan r b.
user 115937262
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
A man after my Own heart . . . Great job, keep it going !