addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Who Wants to Plant a Food Forest?

Who Wants to Plant a Food Forest?

zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 78
David..if I have trhe time one day this summer...given all I have to do around here on my days off...I would love to drop by for a visit!

As for my land...I forgot in my first post to mention that I have a rather large, older, apple tree that needs renovation and probably a pollenator in order to start producing reliably again. It appears to have been pretty well maintained years ago.

The apple tree is at the edge of the main tree canopy in the back. It's a bit of a walk to get to, over the bridge...
Dick H.
user 6105531
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Hello all from the northland,
Follow your discussions with interest from down/up here in Lubec. I've been planting apple, pear, high bush blueberry, raspberry, red oak, chestnut, sugar maple along with a pretty conventional garden over the past five years. Put comfrey under most of the new apples, sea weed on top of cardboard with wood chips on top of all that, so we'll see what grows. The Duchesse of Oldenburg planted in '05 (FEDCO) produced around a dozen apples this year!
Wish we were closer. Sounds like you're doing exciting things in the Portland area. We have a "kingdom"-sized piece of land and would love to host a workshop.
Peace,
Dick H.
Lubec
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 302
Hey Dick -

How about a summer '09 permaculture gathering in Lubec? We'll bring tents smile
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 118
There seems to be more than one point of view on how to trim an apple tree. I still take my advice from Stark Bros.

Their method says to have a central trunk with branches off the sides trimmed to be scaffolds. You prune whatever grows straight up or toward the center.

http://starkbros.com/...­

Peaches are to be pruned to form a vase shape.

http://starkbros.com/...­

I ordered a fig tree this year that is supposed to grow in zone 5! I'm trying apricots again and pears. My apricot tree came out with leaves last year then immediately died.

I had some deer predation on my apple trees. It seems that in the country you need standard trees. Dwarfs could be easily hammered by the deer. Maybe you could call it trimming? They ate all the branch ends. We'll see what happens.
Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 42
Hey Dick -

I'll vote for that one. I love camping downeast anyways. It would be fun to see how permaculture is thriving there. Merry
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 81
David, I broke down yesterday and, yes, ordered a couple apples from of all places Arbor Day Foundation. They were only $7, so what the heck! Ordered basic trees...Lodi, Red Johnathan, Red Delicious and Stayman Winesap. They are only 3-4' tall, so it will probably be 3-5 years before they start producing, but what the heck! I'm also hopefully getting peach and nectarines this season, and I broke down and ordered some more grapes, service/Juneberries and elderberries. Maybe these will do better than the juneberries I have out front....they were only $3.50 each, so we'll see, ehh?

How am I going to find the time to get all the beds prepped and all these trees and shrubs planted! Of course, this is a good start to my food forest ;)
Dick H.
user 6105531
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
Hey Dick -

Lisa,
Sounds great! As my wife just said, "Organizing it would give you something to do next winter."
We have 300 acres of woods, fields, salt water creek, and beaver ponds. Plenty of room for camping, hiking, and whatever. The idea of a workshop here is really exciting! And a great chance to learn more about permaculture.
Keep in touch!
Peace,
Dick
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 314
regarding the food forest intensive - see the new thread i just posted. will get in touch with those of you who offered your property for this over the next few weeks and we'll figure out the best site sometime during may....

thanks so much!
robbie a.
user 6891457
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 1
Hello Everyone,
Im new to this meetup, or any meetups in general for that matter, but i too have a potential site on fifteen acres in scarborough where I am building a homestead in and around an old apple orchard. any and all are welcome to come check it out if your in the area.

-Robbie
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 123
I started my food forest in 1999 by implanting mushroom caps, transplanting fiddleheads, and starting selective cutting.

I found my first mushroom yesterday. A false morel next to a highbush blueberry bush. Poison.

Also, I will upload a photo of an oyster mushroom growing out of an LL Bean shirt.

David