addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › tips and ideas on planting fruit trees

tips and ideas on planting fruit trees

Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 41
Hi Elaine,
Are the seedlings bare root and in the moist paper...and I imagine they are......just keep them cool and make sure the roots stay moist.

You can also pot the trees up if you want to be more cautious. Just put them in plantpots with potting soil if you think it will be a while before you can plant in the ground. I like potting, because it seems to do less damage to a plant when I have to move it. In the ground you are guessing where the roots are, etc; in the pot it's easy....

tree
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 144
Elaine, I need to find a source for bocking 14.

I'm trying to findaround 10 sections of root. Probably only need 1/2 that...but As with nearly everything to do with gardening this year, I've gone a little overboard...ok a LOT overboard...so why stop with the Comfrey???!!!
A former member
Post #: 2
Elaine, I need to find a source for bocking 14.

I'm trying to findaround 10 sections of root. Probably only need 1/2 that...but As with nearly everything to do with gardening this year, I've gone a little overboard...ok a LOT overboard...so why stop with the Comfrey???!!!

Hi Zengeos,

You can Bocking 14 from Horizon Herbs.
http://www.horizonher...­

I ended up buying the true comfrey seeds from them. I hope I don't regret it. Already battling enough interlopers in the gardens.

You can also get it from Richter's, but they sell it as a potted plant for more than twice the price.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 145
Charlotte, I started to place an order with horizon, but shipping would have been almost $20 so I put the kibosh on that purchase.

Oh well. I'll keep looking.

Mark-
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 134
Zengeos/Mark,

I just did the very same thing before even looking at your note. Not only did I give up when I saw the $20.00 shipping cost for even the smaller number of roots (I had chosen the $10. packet of 6 root balls) but also, --

I sent them an email inquiring. Why can't they charge according to weight? It's not fair to charge the same amount for double the number of roots.

Well here's an option:

If they lower the cost of shipping to fit the weight, I would be willing to split the cost and the order with you or someone. That means we would each have 3 root bags of Bocking 14 Comfrey for LESS than $15.00 each.

If they don't lower the shipping cost then like you I'd want to shop closer to home.

Elaine
PS And thanks a lot Charlotte for this good tip! It reminded me to go looking for what I want. So busy right now with planting -- strawberries tomorrow, and paw paw trees!
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 136
Mary, I meant to tell you a FEDCO person responded to my email. She told me to "definitely" water the paw paws.

I really really like your idea of potting one of the paw paws until the arborist comes. I don't want to pester him with calls. The rain has surely delayed him. Tomorrow I'll put one in a pot and plant the other.

Thanks again for your valuable help!

Elaine
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 146
Elaine, I suspect that the only way to get the comfrey reasonable is to share a purchase, as you suggest. I'll put another message in the plants wanted subject also.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 139
Zengeos,

Here's the reply from Horizon Herbs:

Elaine,

Thanks for your note. When you carefully read the COMFREY information on our website, the exact shipping costs are given first thing. The cost of 6 roots is $10.00 and $12.50 for shipping making the total $22.50. We apologise that the shopping cart figures the shipping incorrectly, but since it doesn't automatically charge your card, that gives us the opportunity to charge the correct shipping. THe reason the website figures the shipping incorrectly is due to the small number of shipping options available to us on the grid, and the large number of types, sizes and weights of things we send to people. You can call in your order to (541) 846-6704 if you like!

Richo

Horizon Herbs Customer Service
PO Box 69
Williams, OR 97544 USA
(541) 846-6704

So since we can get 6 Comfrey root balls for a total of $22.50, I'm ready to share an order. Who wants to get half the order for $11.25?

Elaine
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 142
Whoops, Tree, I called you Mary by mistake.

Thanks again for your helpful advice to put the Paw Paw tree in potting soil until the arborist comes! That eases my worry for the tree.

Elaine