addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › trial sheet mulching project

trial sheet mulching project

David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 33
On Saturday, I was able to complete a 5'X8' trial bed. I'll be too busy this week but hope to have it planted soon. By the time the May meeting comes I hope to triple the sheet mulched area. Oh, I also came across "bog-less" cranberries, I thinking about giving them a shot.
-Dave
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 34
Hi Dave - the bogless cranberries sound great. After the 2-day workshop, I planted 4 grape vines (hardy northern varieties) on the south-facing side of the deck - they will climb up and onto the trellis that we'll build.

Around the vines I sheet mulched the entire bed (about 20' long by 4' wide) and will intercrop with climbing peas etc for the summer.

We also planted 4 hardy kiwi which will climb an arched arbor (when I can find one I like:).

All the espaliered apple trees are in, the herb spiral is gorgeous, and the strawberry terrace is ready to be planted as soon as this rain calms down!

This weekend I'll build a sheet-mulched bed for the asparagus roots we picked up at farmers' market last week...

Mmmmm....we'll be eating well around here in a few years!

Having been a "double-digger" for many years, I am now completed converted to the sheet mulch method.