addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 553
OK here it is. Hardy bamboos... fast growing, edible, the canes have varied uses.

That's the pro

The negatives are:

not native
can be invasive in that it is a fast grower and spreads via runners of some sort.

Thoughts?
Should I try growing some?

Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 286
Site them well and use a rhizome barrier if needed and it won't go anywhere. Also, wildlife won't spread it so it's not that much of a threat off the planting site. I'm growing Phyllostachys nuda and it's been rather tame for the 3 years it's been in (though I constantly expect it's building strength and getting ready to try something).
Larry
guildl
Sudbury, MA
Post #: 79

I have not seen any bamboo that will grow in zone 4B.

clumping bambo is not invasive
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 554
greg..I am picturing the little plant from Little Shop of Horrors...thanks for that vision! ;/

I suspect that zone 5, being the extreme limit for even Nuda might have a little to do with the relative *tameness* of the bamboo. How tall is yours?

zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 555
Larry, the hardiest bamboo is marginal even here, in zone 5 in my understanding. Give it a few years and you'll probably be upgraded to zone 5....
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,036
Ditto what Greg said. I've got Yellow Groove doing quite well. Will start harvesting edible shoots this spring on 3 year old plants.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 338
So this year seems to be the year it was building strength for. It has multiple new shoots that are over 7' tall and growing. Still not spreading much yet, but I suspect that next year it'll be running a bit. Some running and larger diameter shoots is my que to start spring harvests.
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 313
My nuda has been languishing for many years. It's just a bit too cold for it here. It survives but that's about it.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 341
Tree, my nuda has lost it's leaves every winter except for this winter. I think this winter I didn't get any colder than a few degrees below zero. The previous few years it got to -11F or so. Far cry from when I was a kid and we were going -20F. Not sure how my nuda will like that if it comes back. Just curious if your nuda kept it's leaves this winter and how cold you got.
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 317
Hi Greg,
No, my nuda loses its leaves every year and then regrows new shoots. It gets -20 here, regularly. so...it survives, but it's certainly not timber bamboo :)