addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Semi-intentional community like-minded neighbor(hood) request opportunity!

Semi-intentional community like-minded neighbor(hood) request opportunity!

Derek L.
user 14490127
Portland, ME
Post #: 9
We live in the Mast Landing Neighborhood in Freeport, 1 mile from LL Bean and 295.

There are 6 houses on this short dead end road backing up to the Audobon and estuary and Mill Stream which turns into the Haraseeket River, Our children run free with 3 or 4 other children in the neighborhood (depending on the day).

We are experimenting with many permaculture concepts on our property....

Anyway - two families (older couples) are putting their houses up for sale this spring/summer (yes that is 2 out of 6)

So, if you were looking for a place to create a living sustainable village with a like minded neighbors - we would love for you to buy one or both of these houses!

Please ask questions if any of this rambling is appealing to you!

Be Well

d
Sarah R. V.
user 30485722
Freeport, ME
Post #: 1
That sounds wonderful. We closed on our home on Desert Rd. two years ago this month, and buying another house right now is not realistic for us, otherwise I would look into this for my own purposes. I might know others who would be interested. Do you know how much property/yardspace comes with the houses? Abutting the Audobon estuary and sharing a small dead-end road with other permaculture enthusiasts sounds very nice.

Be well,

Sarah
Derek L.
user 14490127
Portland, ME
Post #: 10
Probably 1 acre lots - some restrictions on development toward the estuary but we have close to 5 acres and 4 - 6000 square feet of garden space and would love to share - just a pipe dream.

I totally understand the acquisition issue - if I could by them and rent / lease them I would - but we have only been here 2 1/2 years ourselves.

Still planning a take over though...
Kate B.
user 41434032
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
I'm very interested in hearing about this, especially if you know roughly what the property values are... We currently live in South Portland and have a 2-year-old and are talking about moving to a place with some more land and a quieter setting, potentially. I'd love to learn more!
Derek L.
user 14490127
Portland, ME
Post #: 11

http://hotpads.com/re...­

So, we paid 225,000 for our place across the street but the basement was wet and the place was vacant for 5 years.

If you check the link you will see they are asking 350,000. Not worth it - but ... I don't know anything about real estate,

It is kind of a crazy process - our place was listed for 1 million for sale by owner - then 800 then 600 then 365 then we bought it for 225?!?

I guess it is worth what you can dream it into and what a bank will give you a loan for - I would put in a really low offer because it is 0.78 acres with restrictions although very large square footage house, move in ready.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

We have a 19 month old!!

Allison Carroll D.
AllisonDuffy
Portland, ME
Post #: 6
This sounds so great--we, too, might be interested if we hadn't bought a place just last fall that we're fixing up-- (uncovering an old apple orchard, putting in a big garden, planting berries, etc..) We are just about 7-8 minutes down the road from you though, in the Flying Point direction. We have a 3 and a 5 year old. At least it's nice to know that there are like-minded folks pretty nearby! Good luck!
Derek L.
user 14490127
Portland, ME
Post #: 12
Well,

I found out I have some like minded neighbors! just not across the street.

I wonder if we could swap some labor? - of course, there is the whole permaculture group for that purpose, but there is nothing like being just across town or down the road for a mini meet-up since we met-up on this meet-up board.

I have a fencing project for the fall - anything you guys are working on that requires more hands?

thanks

Kate B.
user 41434032
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
Thanks so much for the info! It is a little higher than we are looking to spend, but we'll see....we'll definitely think about it and keep it in mind!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,139
Derek - as a slight aside, you bring up a good point which has been swirling around our discussion for a year or two...

How do we take the foundation that exists in this sort of decentralized permauculture group of 1100 people (albeit with a bit of a hub-and-spoke model for events in the Portland area) to activate local nodes of activity that can bring people in the same town/neighborhood together to make stuff happen in a collaborative way.... This is probably worth starting another thread, but you get the idea. I think that's the next big piece of work for this group.
Derek L.
user 14490127
Portland, ME
Post #: 13
Absolutely Lisa - remember me saying how jealous I am of the Portland monthly swap - the tool thing could use a midcoast node as well huh?

No shortage of things to do!!!