addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Burl H.
burl-hall
Sabattus, ME
Post #: 83
Merry and I are debating. The garlic plant is turning brown...the scapes have passed. It seems early, should we be pulling them? The bulbs look and taste good. What are your opinions?
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 318
Hey Burl,
Meh...I've got some kind of disease on mine that has caused it to fall over early. I've pulled quite a bit of the garlic. About half of the garlic planting is still going, but it looks like it's starting to wind down. Garlic is normally ready the first of August here, and after the first week of August where you are.
Barbara R.
123bubbles
Oakland, ME
Post #: 57
Everything has been early this year! Yes, mine is down and mostly harvested already.
Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 47
We've also harvested our garlic crop last week, now it's curing out in a shed, and we're planting fall and winter greens in the vacated beds.
Amy G.
user 44116742
Limerick, ME
Post #: 1
We harvested two weeks ago, actually had one bulb that had started to deteriorate, by far the earliest we have harvested.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,186
Our harvest was early as well. We've pulled it all and it's curing in the garage (shady but well-ventilated). Burl, think about how many "leaves" have died back. Some people say that once the garlic plant has died back to 2-3 leaves still green, you should pull it - as each leaf represents a paper "wrapper" on the bulb, more or less. If you want it to store longer, you might want more intact wrappers:). We do a couple of thousand heads per year.

For those of you who are experimenting with NOT removing scapes earlier in the season, you can also harvest the bulbil tops now and start planting those little buggers right now, either as a crop planting or as companions around other things. We just pulled some of the biggest bulbs of our gardening lives out of the ground that were planted last July/August as bulbils!
Amy G.
user 44116742
Limerick, ME
Post #: 2
I also planted the bulbils for the first time last year but not until the fall, I will try planting earlier this year now. I harvested scapes but left some on and it did not make a difference in bulb size with my Phillips variety but did with my Russian reds and German varieties, the bulbs were not as large with the scapes left on.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,191
Good info Jim. We've been saving our own garlic for seed and replanting for almost 10 years now and so I'm thinking we now have some Russian Red and German Extra Hardy variant that is especially suited to our site conditions. We are now at the point with that strain that leaving the scapes on does not change the bulb size (when we last did a more rigorous test, leaving scapes ON resulted in bulbs that were 0.01% lighter weight = negligible). Another side benefit that we're seeing (beyond a massive crop of bulbils) is that leaving the scapes on to finish the reproductive cycle, as it were, results in longer storing garlic (more than 12 months in most cases). Your mileage may vary. Also, we've been experimenting with wider spacing and adding granite dust to our main crop with pretty stellar results.
Burl H.
burl-hall
Sabattus, ME
Post #: 89
I pulled them not long aftter I did the message. they actually looked quite healthy. How is everyone's Zuchini doing? Mine are blooming HUGE.
marie c.
user 40605602
Dover, NH
Post #: 9
Hi I too have garlic but have never planted the buboles. Now I want to try. Do you break them up into the seed parts or do you plant it as a whole, and how deep do they go into the soil?