addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Chickens in south Portland???

Chickens in south Portland???

stacey
user 4199376
South Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Hello-
This is my first post here. We live in South Portland and my 10-year-old daughter and I would like to have a small flock (5-6) of pet hens for eggs. I made the mistake of calling the city to see if it was legal, and they said NO WAY.

My daughter was not to be deterred. She went around and presented her case to 20 neighbors, none of whom offered any objections and many were extremely supportive. She then set up a meeting with our local city councilor and presented her case for changing the zoning ordinance to him. He was also supportive and is taking it before the city council at the nest workshop on May 30. My daughter will present her case then. The city votes twice, once on June 4, then June 18.

We're very anxious about the outcome as we badly want to do this. We already have a small organic garden and feel strongly about being able to have these hens as pets and also to raise our own prganic eggs.

I'm curious about anyone else's experience with this type of thing. What issues are the councilors likely to bring up that we can be prepared to answer, etc. Strategy? We decided to hold off taking the story to the press, because there just might be some cranky citizens who would get vocal about it, and if the city councilors seem to be supportive (so far) why stir the pot any more?

Any advice???

Thanks!
Stacey & OLivia
A former member
Post #: 46
No way...as in which ordinances would be violated?---noise, sanitation, animals running at large? If cats can run wild at night, why not chickens. People maintain large feeder complexes with flocks of birds; no problem here.

I live in Brunswick. My neighbor not only kept chickens but a turkey and once a pig.

Some breed dogs and others have herds of cats....still no problem.

You need to do a bit of research and find which ordinances would be violated....

cavaet...if you live in an apt. and want to keep the chickens indoors, then you should check the housing and zoning regulations.
stacey
user 4199376
South Portland, ME
Post #: 2
Hi Katahdin energy,
thanks for the reply. SP's ordinances are very clear. I talked to the city adn then I even had a lawyer friend look at the wording. If we keep chickens we're breaking the law. And since a 10-ear-old is involved, I didn't want any broken hearts if the girls got confiscated.

Anyway, she's presenting to the city council nest Wednesday and the big vote/publiv forum is June 4th, so it ANYBODY from South Portland wants to come show support for the ordinance change it would be very much appreciated!

Stacey
A former member
Post #: 31
Best of luck Stacey. If I lived closer I'd be there! Did you notice that chickens have been discussed here in the "Chickens and bees...." thread?