addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 676
Has anyone tried making their own tofu?
Sylvan T.
user 11378950
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 11
Yes! Firm tofu is a lot of fun, much like making a simple white farmer cheese. You make a soymilk, then curdle that to make the tofu. The left over soybeans are great in veggie burgers, casaroles, etc. The Deaf Smith Country Cookbook has a good recipe. I can post it if you need one.
Warmly, Sylvan
A former member
Post #: 677
Thanks for the response! (I had almost given up.) Do you make your own soy milk? I've looked on the web and a machine seems to run for around $100 and is not mandatory, but sure seems to simplify the process for one that wants to do it regularly. Do you (or anyone) grow your own soy beans? My neighbors tried it with pretty good luck.

I'm a lover of meat of every kind and I believe that it fits well into a well-rounded family farm setup , but I do believe that the world would be better of if we all ate less. Right now my mainstay dish is vegetarian chili served over rice and I don't even miss the meat at all. I've also been making Asian soup with daikon radish that I love. I've made good stir fries with tofu, so I know I'd like that. Also, I've made eggplant burgers that I suppose would taste similar to tofu...

Speaking of daikon radish, I have recently learned that it is the most grown vegetable in China. It is used fresh, is stored like other root crops, and is dried. Drying gives them a delicious nutty flavor. The seed pods are used and the seeds are sprouted. The greens are used as well. They can be put in a mild vinegar solution and will keep in a cool place for months. Depending on the weather, spring planted seeds may go to seed rather than form roots, but if they make roots they can be HUGE. I planted a fall crop last year with pretty good results. As usual I'm wandering way off track here--I think I need to start a new thread about this wonderful plant. tongue