addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Plants and Resources for Trade/Free

Plants and Resources for Trade/Free

Merry H.
Merrymaker
Portland, ME
Post #: 98
Lisa, I'll be in touch. I agree that a graphic presentation would be the best. I'll check out zeemaps and get back to you. How neat if this weren't just us but a statewide project all sustainable gardeners could use! Merry
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 711
Absolutley!!! Maybe a master gardener would be interested in teaming up...
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 71
I have way more seeds then i could plant before they loose viability (over the next 3-10 years), so i would like to give away as many of my extras as possible. Most of my extras fall into the category of medicinal herbs, but i have lots of different stuff. If you would like some free seeds check out this list and email me if you find something you want. You can stop by my house sometime or you can send me a SASE.
A former member
Post #: 266
Exactly what I meant to write a post about this last weekend! I am working on my Fedco order and went through all my old seeds. Last year I started a lot of things that I used to sow directly into my garden and was happy with the way it turned out, plus it sure saves a lot of seeds. I made a list of what I've got, and will add to it as I finalize my Fedco order.

I am especially interested in herbs because I've never been able to buy everything I wanted and they have been the first to go when I pare my seed wish list down. Do you think we should start a separate thread with our lists?

In the meantime, a couple of quick questions: I found something called 'goose foot' in Fedco. I did a little research and am wondering if it is actually lamb's quarters? Does anyone grow this plant? Also, does anyone plan on an order from Pinetree Garden Seeds? I would very much like to get a packet of Tyfon-Holland greens. I planted them in 2003/04 and they were the best greens I've ever had. Just like the book said, they were early, HUGE, did not bolt, good tasting, and lasted into the late fall.
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 73
The goose foot that fedco sells (Chenopodium bonus-henricus aka good king henry) is not the same as lambs quarters (although it is in the same genus). Its basically a perennial version of lambs quarters, so you could save time and money by just growing lamb's quarters.
A former member
Post #: 268
Hi Aaron,

You have a fine list there! I went through it and put the names of the ones I'd like on little packets. I'm interested in sweet Annie (very interested!), spilanthes, Joe Pye weed, blessed thistle, RR kale, S B basil, motherwort, maxibel bean, elecampane, and ramps. The 'dragon fruit' sounded so interesting - do you grow it as a house plant? I have an easy-to-grow cactus that I just love - zig zag cactus. interesting plant that puts out huge white flowers similar to the dragon fruit ones. It is a VERY fragrant night bloomer. It's very easy to start with a cutting.

Here is the list I made out to send out to gardening friends and I'll put it here as well.

summer squash cocozelle (striped zucchini)
mache
cilantro
buttercrunch lettuce
vates collards
daikon radish 'miyashige white' this is a great radish...lasts all summer and gets HUGE
mustard 'gai choy red giant'
morning glory 'heavenly blue'
Italian parsley
dill 'Long Island mammoth' this did very well
lovage (This will be new for me, though I had it in BBH and it died the first winter. I understand the seeds can be used to replace celery seeds, the leaves used as celery flavor in soups, etc.)
Swiss chard 'lucullus' (white)
nasturtium 'jewel mix'
broccoli 'waltham 29'
chervil (did very well, was a joy to grow and to eat)
Swiss chard 'rhubarb' (red)
snapdragon, cosmos, asst. of marigolds
salad burnet
cauliflower 'snowball X' did not do well at all..
cabbage 'early golden acre'
squash 'early prolific straightneck' (summer yellow)
mustard 'green wave'
tomato 'Roma'
pepper 'jalapeno' and 'hot mix'
okra
Chinese lantern

I saved bean and pea seeds:
sugar snap peas
purple pod bush
improved tendergreen bush
Kentucky wonder pole, both green and yellow
bush bean--an unknown from saved seed, but I was VERY happy with it--long, thin, tender pods
scarlet runner beans--you may want to put a few in at the base of a dead sapling pushed into the ground. They will climb it, be very pretty, and attract humming birds, AND I found they provide a place for birds to land and survey your garden!

I also have saved Waltham butternut seeds. They did so well last year that I'm thinking of growing some for winter goat and chicken feed.

You may want to try just a few of these beans, and if they do well save the plants for seed production. Though I do have plenty to plant as a main crop, and I have found that bean seeds do not save well at all, but must be saved yearly.

Let me know if you want anything. I also have opium poppy seeds. I believe they are not legal to grow, but I don't score them, so am not concerned. I just like to know that I would be able to grow my own pain medication if need be.

When I finish my Fedco list I'll add anything that I will have a surplus of.

FEDCO:

Cannellini shell bean (thought I'd try a few plants, but not an entire pac)
I'd like to share a pac of 'Mexican sour gherkin'
jackpot zucchini
I'd like to share Senposai and pac choi
new ace pepper I always have terrible luck with peppers and thought I'd try this...
Arnica perennial so should have lots extra
caraway I had in BBH. Hope to have better luck with it in Alna
sweet marjoram First time to grow for me and hope it does well as I like it even better than oregano, which I love
winter savory per. so plenty extra

EDIT added:
mangel 'mammoth long red' (animal food)
epazote
asparagus 'Martha Washington'

A former member
Post #: 269
Say, does anyone have asparagus seed or are you ordering from a catalog that carries it? I had planned to dig 'only male' (or is it only female...at any rate the big ones) plants from my patch in Boothbay, however the new renter is trying her hand at gardening and I just don't have the heart to dig any plants. I was so disappointed to find that Fedco does not carry them. They all used to have them. I have been gardening off and on for almost 4o years and it has been sad to watch the small independent catalog order companies are now a big conglomerate--you can tell because all their catalogs are cookie cutters of each other - only the name is different.angry

Incidentally, off topic, but worth a mention. The new renter is a single mother of 3. She has taught for many years in Southport, and yet found herself without enough money to fill her fuel tank last winter. My daughter and son-in-law helped her out with a fill twice and put triple protection on all the windows since she was in dire straights, thoough she is a mature and responsible person. She just had no idea that fuel was going to be such a big item in her budget!

And yet, interestingly, when I read the salaries of teachers in BBH in the BB Register, I was just stunned at what a pittance they are paid. I do write letters to the editor from time to time, and was moved to write one. But finally decided to hell with it - if they can't write their own letters, who am I to spend hours over it (because that is exactly how much time I do spend when I write a letter). There never was a peep out of them.

In the back of my mind I am beginning to put together a flier ARE WE GETTING MAD YET? (or something) that I plan to hand out at the Alna post office and put around. The time is ripe for anger at our government. For so many years only the poor were working hard and yet never able to get ahead, let alone only even to keep up. It has now hit the middle class.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 280
Aaron, I have a few extra seeds you or others miht be interested in. I hope to get a Tuesdayoff when we have a meetup in March or April or May, even, and perhaps some of the seeds can be traded.!

I am interested in some of your medicinals Would love some of your echinacea as mine from seed last year got lost in the weeds (oops!)

Sacred Basil, Nettle, tobacco, poppies, peppers, tomatoes, parsley, mint, Joe pye, kale, etc.

I still have Astragalus (didn't do for me last year), Great Mullein, Kiss me over the Garden Gate, oregano vulgare, bouquet dill, summer and winter avory, horehound, lovage, russian tarragon, motherwort, marshmallow, feverfew, a half dozen basils, lavender, borage, valerian, emon and bee balm seeds, bergamot, dill, rosemary, a couple chives,

These are all from lat year so should still be good. I'll be winter sowing many again this year.

I have 30 or so different annual and perennial flowers like gaillardia, morning glory, etc.

I should have enough to spare for you or someone else.

Mark-
A former member
Post #: 285
I put an order in to "Artistic Gardens", a seed company in Vermont. They sell 35 cent "sample" packets of seed, which is just right if you want to give something a trial or are interested in just a few plants of a variety of herb. You can order online, and the postage/handling is only $3.50. I'll post in a few days when my order arrives and let you all know if I am happy with what I get.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 291
Mary, I purchased from them last year.(Artistic Gardens)

I had some success, but to be honest, I had the hihest failure rate from them out of all the seds I bought last year (around 25%of my seed varieties didn't grow)

Also, you might find it more economical to get in on some of the seed exchanges on Gardenweb. I had fantastic success. So much so that I have a number of seeds left over from last year! Some of the exchange are kinda fun because you never know what you might end up with...round robin trades, newby trades, etc...and all for a SASE. Usually people send more seeds than come in the Artistic Gardens packets also.

You may have good luck with Artistic and as you pointed out, they are inexpensive! Try a variety of sed acquisition techniques! Trades, buying from various mail order companies...heck, I spent $5 on 25 packets of seeds at *gasp* Walmart.