addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Fungus gnats and damping-off

Fungus gnats and damping-off

Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 467
Well, since seed starting season is upon us I thought I'd share this article. http://www.gardenguid...­
It covers those annoying little flies some of us (me) get, fungus gnats. They're annoying but worse, their larvae eat plant roots and I've actually lost plants to them. It also covers damping-off, which I've lost a few plants to as well. If you're reusing flats it's worth it to wash them, then sterilize them with a diluted bleach solution.
Also, here's an article on when to start what: http://www.mofga.org/...­
Lee
LeeWorkman
Gorham, ME
Post #: 19
The mofga seed starting chart is really helpful. I've been going by one I thought I got from mofga, but felt I was putting my onions in the garden too late. This chart says put onions out two weeks earlier. Maybe my chart was pre-climate change...
Thanks, Greg! And good article on gnats and damping off. I like that cinnamon is suggested as an antidote.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 469
Me too Lee, we'll see how it works out. I have 30 flats of experimental citrus seedlings growing and I got damping off in 2 of them (my poor C.taiwanica x P.trifoliata second generation crossescrying that are so promising). It started dropping plant after plant in those flats so the soil got covered in cinnamon. Too early to say for sure, but so far so good. Whenever I get near those flats all I smell is cinnamontongue.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 917
I have noticed that the gnats will go for used cooking oil and get stuck and die.

David Spahr