addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
francesco s.
user 3227838
Portland, ME
Post #: 10
We were initially freaked out by the zillions of "bugs" climbing all over our Angelica plants, but with a bit of research we joyfully discovered that they are ladybug larvae. They are dining on the aphids. Here's a quick article and photos:
http://www.ca.uky.edu...­

One friend has collected some in a jar and to bring to her aphid infested plants. (Permaculture Take-Out?) If you need ladybug larvae, please come collect some (BYOJ - bring your own jar) - we have many to spare! Or, we can bring some to Elaine & Francis's work party next weekend. Ladybug, Ladybug: Ladybugs for everyone.smile
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 53
Yes, bring some for us, Francesco!

And I think we have enough jars for any who want some too to bring Ladybugs home!

See you on Saturday,
Elaine
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 139
I would love to innoculate our yard with more ladybugs! Count me in!
Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
Okay-We'll bring some. Ladybug party at Elaine and Francis' on Saturday!! Give your aphids their last rites!
-S.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 197
Hey Francesco and Suzannah -- are you getting more Ladybug larvae to give away this year as you did last year?

Within the last 2 days I've picked off from one of our cherry trees about 3 - 4 very crinkled up leaves loaded with what looks like ants, but I believe they're aphids. If as I expect they'll keep coming we could give some ladybugs a good feed.

If you don't have extra ladybugs (seeing that it's earlier than your last year's note) any suggestions where we can buy some? Anywhere from the web?

I started a discussion on Pest Control for Fruit Trees and will continue there talking about my discoveries this afternoon.

Elaine
A former member
Post #: 83
Susannah,
I'd love some larvae- can you bring some on Wednesday?
Winnie
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 188
Ladybugs can be good in your garden but realize that they can infest your house in the fall and winter. Seal your house. Some people get tens of thousands or even much more inside their homes. It happened to my brother. They smell too.

http://www.hgtv.com/h...­
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 199
Wow! Aside from the nuisance described in your reference, David, since Francis has very well controlled asthma, but asthma nevertheless, -- this note nips my interest in the bud: "Large numbers of ladybugs in a home can cause respiratory problems due to the release of volatile defensive chemicals..."

And just in time too! Thanks for the warning David!

Elaine
Kiya
Kiya18
Portland, ME
Post #: 3
I have 3 plants that aphids love (hops, angelica, plum tree), so I planted them next to each other. It seems to help keep a continuing supply of ladybugs in my yard, although so far this year I've seen very few aphids or ladybugs. I've never had them infiltrate into my house, or even gather in great quantities in the yard. They always did along the shores of Lake Michigan when I was growing up, but never inland.
One year my entire plum tree was infested, and in about 2 weeks the ladybugs had eaten every one. They are wonderful beings!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 191
Lupines may be considered either a trap plant or attracter of aphids depending on your point of view. Mine are covered. It seems to attract some ladybug attention but not enough. Most of my other plantings don't seem to have many aphids. One way or another they are out there and they are going to go someplace. You can't eat lupines.

I have seen literal carpets of ladybugs trying to make their way into houses in the fall BTW.