addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Animal, Mineral or Fungus? What is This!?

Animal, Mineral or Fungus? What is This!?

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 153
Please check out the "What is This?" photo album under PHOTOS to the left. Do any of you know what this is? It looks kind of like a fungus, but then again it could have been, um, "left" by an animal. I've never seen anything like it before. It's on our wood chip mulch which is a combination of maple and pine chips, if that matters (thinking of species-specific fungi...?).

Stumped,
Lisa
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 52
This may be a type of slime mold. There are 4 or 5 you see around regularly and this is not one of them. I am not an expert on these at all and in fact the taxonomy of these species is in serious question.

http://en.wikipedia.o...­

David
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 154
David, I think you really put me on the right track. The one here matches perfectly with some of the images on this page about "dog vomit" slime mold (can you think of a more disagreeable name for anything?)

http://images.google....­
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 53
I know dog vomit slime and the color didn't look right. It is usually brown. That looked gray to me. I actually have quite a few pictures of that one.

The only people I know that are hip to slime molds are over 80 and not on the internet. If you could show Dr. Sam Ristich in Yarmouth or Dorothy Spaulding in Cumberland they could probably shed some light. I think Dorothy is in her mid 80s and Sam is 93. Dorothy did attend the Maine Mycological Assoc. Foray last Sunday and imparted her wisdom on a variety of fungi. I believe she is the President of the Association. Dr. Ristich was at the foray 2 weeks before that. He taught us all. They are both inspirational to meet. It would certainly be worth the effort to go out of your way to do that.
A former member
Post #: 92
Regardless of what it is; what is it doing to the wood chips?

Eating them; dissolving them in goo; or simply living there for a while?

Is it changing shape, moving; changing colors? How does it react to cold, heat, rain?

Put a cam on it and let's watch it develop.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 155
When I took the photo, there were two splotches, one grey and one kind of a bread-colored mass (the fruiting body if I read correctly) with dark red liquid globules. Apparently it is an ameoba that does digest wood chips (carbon source). By mid-day the red liquid had disappeared and the whole thing started to cave in on itself, turning into a pile of black dust. Fascinating.
A former member
Post #: 95
We vacationed last fall in Lemoine on a tidal inlet with an appreciable tide...went from water to almost all mud.

One day I went for a walk along the rock ledge and saw a huge--2 ft. across, blob of bloody jelly, covering a rock. It moved when I poked it, and oozed 'blood'. Have never seen anything like it...did a bit of research and never did find a precise definition. This was in a breeding ground for horseshoe crabs...one wonders what other prehistoric critter shows up from time to time to breed and then slither away?