addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › GMO food labeling bill

GMO food labeling bill

David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 932
On tuesday a GMO food labeling bill comes up for review in front of the Agriculture Conservation and Forestry Commission at 10 am in Rm. 214 of the Cross building in Augusta. You can be there and see who you friends and enemies really are. There will be a lot of speakers so this may go on and on but if you can create some cogent arguments to present, that would be a good thing. Take the gloves off! Put their feet to the fire!

If even one state can enact this, the dominoes will fall! That will take the wind out of the GMO sails in a big way. People will vote the smart way, with their wallets!

http://www.mainelegis...­

David Spahr
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 594
Sadly, virtually all processed, packaged foods sold in supermarkets contained GMO's now.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 492
Sadly, virtually all processed, packaged foods sold in supermarkets contained GMO's now.

Good news is that most of those processed, packaged foods shouldn't be eaten anyway...mostly terrible for you. My wife and I have given up eating those foods for the most part and we're both feeling much healthier. Just moving to "real" food (think paleo diet), no other changes in our lives. We sometimes over eat until we're stuffed (shouldn't do that, I know) and yet the excess weight continues to come off and we continue to tone up. Then we watch commercials on TV and all you see are commercials for garbage food....not one thing we should be eating. GMO or not, this country is in really big trouble health wise with the new American diet. I heard somewhere that something like 75% of all the calories consumed in this country now come from highly processed foods...very scary.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 933
Funny, I go talk about food sovereignty, foraging issues, etc. and people who say these issues are important to them aren't there to testify.

It's not good enough to elect a representative. Whoever won may not have been your choice. There's talking the talk and there's walking the walk. You have to be there when they vote on bills that matter. Get in their faces! Elucidate the issues! They seem to never do what you would expect or want and neither side of the aisle can be given a free pass. What I see ain't pretty.

David Spahr

David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 934
You would need to look up who the twelve members of the Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry Committee are. Craig Hickman and Russell Black are two I can think of. These guys have way different ideas....

David
A former member
Post #: 106
Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry Committee
http://www.maine.gov/...­
Hillary K.
user 83293492
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
I want to make a correction to this thread. The hearing is at 1pm, not 10am on Tuesday the 23rd (tomorrow) in Augusta. There is a MOFGA rally and press conference from 12-1, as well. People are encouraged to join us up there, even if they don't want to testify. Bring banners and signs and tell your friends to come and support what has the potential to be a monumental shift in food policy. We can be leaders of awareness and justice here in Maine if we unite our voice of choice!
Magda
user 63434032
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Is anybody leaving from Portland that wouldn't mind ride sharing? :]