addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Advanced Permaculture Design Course : Wasteland Regeneration in Haiti Decemb

Advanced Permaculture Design Course : Wasteland Regeneration in Haiti December 2013

Ryan H.
user 14357946
Concord, NH
Post #: 45
Advanced Permaculture Design Course:
Wasteland Regeneration

~ Re-establishing Abundant and Resilient Ecosystems on Barren, Neglected, and Abused lands.
in Sadhana Forest - Anse-a-Pitre, Haiti (http://sadhanaforest....­. )

December 6-10, 2013
Course Content:
-Permaculture strategies and techniques for wasteland regeneration;
-Identification and use of local resources;
-Tools and techniques available for different geographic or cultural context;
-Scalable for rural and urban sites;
-Group work on participants’ projects.
Each day will include some time together in the classroom and time spent on hands on activities and site visits.

Course fee is : $600 USD by 9/1/13.
Includes three vegan meals a day, camping/basic accommodations, and instruction.

Please contact Ryan Ferdinand at rcferdin AT gmail DOT com for more info and to register.

ABOUT THE INSTRUCTORS:
Steven Whitman is a professional planner and educator based in the United States, and his work is focused largely on community planning and ecological design issues. Steve is a certified Permaculture teacher and is an adjunct faculty member at Plymouth State University and Colby Sawyer College. Steve also teaches Permaculture courses in the United States outside of the University System, and has taught courses in Australia, Costa Rica, Haiti, Iceland, India, Scotland, Sweden, and Tanzania. Steve lives with his wife and two sons in Plymouth, NH, USA and participates in a wide range of grassroots efforts that promote greater resilience.

Aviram Rozin co-founded Sadhana Forest in Tamil Nadu with his wife Yorit in December 2003. Sadhana Forest is a volunteer based community doing wasteland reclamation and indigenous reforestation. Currently Sadhana Forest is the home to over 1,000 volunteers per year, from over 50 countries. In 2008, the Rozins co-founded Sadhana Forest Haiti, in April 2010, which is a 6,500 acre indigenous food forest project. In November 2010 Sadhana Forest won the Humanitarian Water and Food Award (3rd place) in Denmark, for its work in India and Haiti.

Getting Here: Flight to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic and a bus ride to Pedernales. From there Sadhana Forest Haiti will come pick you up.

Number of Participants: Limited to 20

Learning Environment: In Sadhana Forest Haiti we practice an eco-friendly way of life including veganism, solar energy, dry composting toilets, and different Permaculture techniques. This is an ideal setting to experience Permaculture unfolding on a new site.

Life Style: Our campus is vegan, and is also a strict, no smoking, no alcohol, and no drugs environment. Course participants are expected not to use cigarettes, alcohol and drugs during the entire course, whether they are inside or outside our campus. Please only enroll in the course if this is a realistic lifestyle for you for the duration of the course.
Courtney
Wickedlostcause
Brooks, ME
Post #: 9
Hey Ryan, I'm very excited to hear Sadhana Haiti's running another permaculture course, I can't wait to head back for a PDC the next time they offer it. What's the deal with the fee for this course though? I totally understand asking people to chip in enough for their food, maybe even plus a bit more since many of the people won't be long-term. Last I knew food was around $4 a day though, or less I'd assume since there are actually plants and gardens there now. Have they given up on having a gift economy?
Ryan H.
user 14357946
Concord, NH
Post #: 47
Hi Courtney- The course is being run by Low Energy Future at Sadhana Haiti. It isn't being offered by Sadhana Haiti. The gift economy is still alive and strong there, this is an outside organization running an Advanced Course. That's the difference. I think they are still planning on offering free PDC's (the one they have running now is all booked up).
Courtney
Wickedlostcause
Brooks, ME
Post #: 10
Ah, that makes sense! Thank you for clarifying Ryan!